Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Jacobs traded to Royals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Jacobs traded to Royals

Postby stevethumb » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Dave Cameron doesn't like the move, either (for the Royals): http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... obs-trade/

There are more comments in that thread than I've ever seen in any fangraphs thread before. One thing is for sure...a lot of Royals fans really believe in Dayton Moore. :-S

What's odd to me is that it seems like everyone outside of most Royals fans really believe in Kila, Butler, and Shealy.

Shealy and Butler no, personally, but as for Kila, you can't tell me that a 1:2 K/BB ratio and plus power won't translate well into the bigs.

shandler's MLEs on kila don't translate very well...i am not a believer in shealy nor kila
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:40 pm

stevethumb wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Shealy and Butler no, personally, but as for Kila, you can't tell me that a 1:2 K/BB ratio and plus power won't translate well into the bigs.

shandler's MLEs on kila don't translate very well...i am not a believer in shealy nor kila

I have to agree on Kila. I think he can become a good MLB'er, but I would be cautious on saying that Kila was primed to be a MLB regular next season. He's had 2 big milb seasons and after his first big season (2005) he spent 2 years repeating levels with very mediocre success. And then he exploded last season (3rd season in AA). I'm just fairly certain that he could use some more time in the minors next season regardless if this trade happened or not. And is someone seriously concerned about cutting into Shealy's PT? He's 29 and has been almost a career Milb'er (majority of AB's in the PCL and texas leagues).

As for the trade, I think the Royals got a better overall value in this deal at a position of need for a position of relative depth. I think this is a good trade for the Royals. But maybe I just have a bias against middle RP's that don't strike anyone out and have an arm injury in their past.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Well, I don't think Kila would've been ready to be an MLB regular that soon, but he's only 24 years old and he's been mashing between AA and AAA all year with a sky-high OPS and few strikeouts. Excluding between 2005-06, which appears to be an aberration, he's improved every year. If Jacobs was at any position other than 1B or DH I'd've loved this move for the Royals. But they just seem to be wasting talent.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby kab21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Well, I don't think Kila would've been ready to be an MLB regular that soon, but he's only 24 years old and he's been mashing between AA and AAA all year with a sky-high OPS and few strikeouts. Excluding between 2005-06, which appears to be an aberration, he's improved every year. If Jacobs was at any position other than 1B or DH I'd've loved this move for the Royals. But they just seem to be wasting talent.

I don't understand your argument. Kila's not ready, Shealy IMO isn't a MLB starter and Butler hasn't proven anything (although I'm a fan of his still).

And for me it's hard to decide if Kila's '05 and '08 are the aberrations or if '02, '03, '04, '06, and '07 are the aberrations for him. He's had 2 better than avg Milb seasons and most of '08 was spent repeating a level. I do like him as a prospect (good K:BB with power), but I'm on his bandwagon.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigwords » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Maybe I spoke to quickly on McPherson.

According to a report today by Buster Olney, the deal opens the door for Gaby Sanchez. I forgot about him. And I like him quite a bit. I think he's an excellent sleeper next year. Remember the name.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby J35J » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm

bigwords wrote:Maybe I spoke to quickly on McPherson.

According to a report today by Buster Olney, the deal opens the door for Gaby Sanchez. I forgot about him. And I like him quite a bit. I think he's an excellent sleeper next year. Remember the name.

Yeah, there is potential there...especially nice to see his plate discipline. The only thing that would concern me is this year was his first year above A ball and he is 24 so we'll see. Definately someone to keep an eye on though!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby bigwords » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:24 pm

So much for the expectation that this is the first of many deals to come for the Royals:

Moore says Jacobs may be Royals’ only major off-season acquisition
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals ... 77336.html
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:42 pm

bigwords wrote:So much for the expectation that this is the first of many deals to come for the Royals:

Yeah, sadly Glass has said they will only increase payroll a couple mil this year. Doesn't mean there won't be a number of smaller moves that don't increase payroll much, if at all. But yeah, sadly I don't expect any splash of any kind this year but I'm still holding out hope that he's going to make a few more smaller moves to shake things up....which is what Moore wants to do!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby kab21 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:07 pm

bigwords wrote:So much for the expectation that this is the first of many deals to come for the Royals:

I'm not sure if major acquisitions are what the Royals need. FA generally isn't the answer for rebuilding teams and they don't have any big pieces to trade. Their best bet is to keep rebuilding the farm system and maybe they can get prospect by trading Teahen or someone else. It's going to take more time, but at least their farm is coming around.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers