Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Jacobs traded to Royals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Jacobs traded to Royals

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
J35J wrote:
We have someone who can hit 30+ hrs and carry a .500 SLG% already?

I don't want to sound like I'm in love with Jacobs or the deal because it is what it is, but I'll just regurgitate my thoughts again.... Low Risk, High Reward for cheap...how is that not an upgrade? :-?

Yeah, but what the Royals need is a centerpiece. Jacobs is an add-on. And what do the Royals have to add on to? Nothing. :-/

if you dont have any pieces, how do you trade for a center piece? no center piece is going to sign with the royals as is, so they need to make several small moves, while improving through the draft. when they have a solid core, thats when you make the big splash in free agency.

I wasn't implying a trade for a centerpiece, I was saying exactly that. Build a solid core and then make trades like this. I don't have a clue what the Royals management intends to do with Jacobs, other than keep them afloat for a few years until they're ready to contend.

I guess having a slightly winninger (if winningest is a word...) team would help with ticket prices, but from a long term perspective it's a useless move. Then again, I'm fairly low on Jacobs as a player. I look at his inability to hit for BA or OBP above the AA level and I see a one-dimensional player, both fantasy-wise and real. To me, he's Adam LaRoche with a bit more power and a significantly lower BA. I'm also a bit pissed that we likely won't be seeing Mr. 1:2 K/BB ratio playing a significant role in '09. In my eyes, Ka'aihue is Jacobs plus .080 OBP.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:10 am

Snakes Gould wrote:whats the big deal? its not like they traded butler or gordon for jacobs. they traded a very replaceable middle reliever for a guy who can slug the ball. he doesnt get on base, but he does slug at a .500 clip which isnt a bad thing. i dont understand how this move has generated a 6 page thread, but hey whatever.

Kila Ka'aihue
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Old_Style » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:11 am

Snakes Gould wrote:whats the big deal? its not like they traded butler or gordon for jacobs. they traded a very replaceable middle reliever for a guy who can slug the ball. he doesnt get on base, but he does slug at a .500 clip which isnt a bad thing. i dont understand how this move has generated a 6 page thread, but hey whatever.

First trade of the hot stove season.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Dave Cameron doesn't like the move, either (for the Royals): http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... obs-trade/

There are more comments in that thread than I've ever seen in any fangraphs thread before. One thing is for sure...a lot of Royals fans really believe in Dayton Moore. :-S
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby kellythemick » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:51 am

Roster space and team direction.
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:19 am

I think you're jealous that a Royals/Marlins trade is getting equal or more press than any or the Phillies threads. :-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby Tavish » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58 am

mweir145 wrote:Dave Cameron doesn't like the move, either (for the Royals): http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... obs-trade/

There are more comments in that thread than I've ever seen in any fangraphs thread before. One thing is for sure...a lot of Royals fans really believe in Dayton Moore. :-S

What's odd to me is that it seems like everyone outside of most Royals fans really believe in Kila, Butler, and Shealy.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Dave Cameron doesn't like the move, either (for the Royals): http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... obs-trade/

What's odd to me is that it seems like everyone outside of most Royals fans really believe in Kila, Butler, and Shealy.

Shealy and Butler no, personally, but as for Kila, you can't tell me that a 1:2 K/BB ratio and plus power won't translate well into the bigs.
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext