Return to General Talk

Round 3 (POTUS Debate)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Round 3 (POTUS Debate)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 am

Metroid wrote:Like for military schools? :-?

I could have swore he said something about troops being able to skip the exams and formalities that teachers have to go through. So because you're a soldier you're qualified to teach? :-?

they're Americans Met, they can do anything
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55 am

I am still trying to figure out how McCain plans on cutting 100% taxes while continuing the war in Iraq, fund special needs, cut health care, buy all the distressed mortgages, cut down spending, cut our national debt and improve our economy all at the same time. Does anyone have an answer?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 am

Troops To Teachers is an ingenious plan to knock the Nancy out of these kids as early as possible... }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am

Yoda wrote:I am still trying to figure out how McCain plans on cutting 100% taxes while continuing the war in Iraq, fund special needs, cut health care, buy all the distressed mortgages, cut down spending, cut our national debt and improve our economy all at the same time. Does anyone have an answer?

"Campaign Promises"

There's no way he does all that, just like there's no way Obama does all the things he's claiming he'll do. I'd like answers to those questions too, but there is no answer.

For candidates to sit up there and say, "I will do _______, and I will do _______," is bogus. They have to pass everything through the filter of congress, and often congress has zero interest in the president's special interests. So none of this is likely to happen.

I take it all with a grain of salt. :-°
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:14 am

knapplc wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am still trying to figure out how McCain plans on cutting 100% taxes while continuing the war in Iraq, fund special needs, cut health care, buy all the distressed mortgages, cut down spending, cut our national debt and improve our economy all at the same time. Does anyone have an answer?

"Campaign Promises"

There's no way he does all that, just like there's no way Obama does all the things he's claiming he'll do. I'd like answers to those questions too, but there is no answer.

For candidates to sit up there and say, "I will do _______, and I will do _______," is bogus. They have to pass everything through the filter of congress, and often congress has zero interest in the president's special interests. So none of this is likely to happen.

I take it all with a grain of salt. :-°

I agree. It's just that at least if there is a clear explanation of how he is going to achieve those things then I might reconsider.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 am

Absolutely. The whole point of these before-the-nation talks is to get that message across, and McCain did a terrible job of that. Again.

Obama often looked directly at the camera and spoke directly to John & Jane America about his plans. McCain spent too much of his time griping about Obama's shortcomings rather than spending his time explaining how he's going to make everything better. Wasted opportunity, man.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 am

Amazinz wrote:Troops To Teachers is an ingenious plan to knock the Nancy out of these kids as early as possible... }:-)

I'm not against soldiers as teachers as long as they're qualified and pass the same requirements as anybody else.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:28 am

I'm just messing around... I don't have much familiarity with the TFT program but I am pretty sure it's designed to ease the transition from military service to an education career for qualified people. What I believe McCain was referring to is not about relaxing criteria but simplifying the transition (like transfering college credits). As for whether or not that is necessary, I have no idea.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 am

Amazinz wrote:I'm just messing around... I don't have much familiarity with the TFT program but I am pretty sure it's designed to ease the transition from military service to an education career for qualified people. What I believe McCain was referring to is not about relaxing criteria but simplifying the transition (like transfering college credits). As for whether or not that is necessary, I have no idea.

Yes, this is true. McCain isn't saying, leave the military - walk into the classroom. You have to be qualified to be a teacher, etc, etc.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:43 am

knapplc wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I'm just messing around... I don't have much familiarity with the TFT program but I am pretty sure it's designed to ease the transition from military service to an education career for qualified people. What I believe McCain was referring to is not about relaxing criteria but simplifying the transition (like transfering college credits). As for whether or not that is necessary, I have no idea.

Yes, this is true. McCain isn't saying, leave the military - walk into the classroom. You have to be qualified to be a teacher, etc, etc.

Ah I see, thanks guys. That was my concern. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk