Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols Finally Has Surgery, No More Worries?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols Finally Has Surgery, No More Worries?

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:10 am

bigken117 wrote:Guy hit .357 with 37 HR....if he's not in your top 3 regardless I don't know what to say. :-S

You say "good day to you".
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:45 am

Yeah the elbow didn't seem to affect his hitting stroke this year, plus he plays 1B so its not like he needs a cannon in the field...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Guy hit .357 with 37 HR....if he's not in your top 3 regardless I don't know what to say. :-S

Agreed....still would have loved to see him get his elbow completely cleaned up, but when you can hit .357 with 37Hr's with an arm that isn't completely healthy....

you've sure been laying low since the playoffs started. glad to see you're still alive and kickin' ;-D

No Mets = very little interest in the post season for me. It usually isn't like that, but after 3 years in a row of heartbreak, I just don't have any interest in baseball right now. Quite honestly, I don't care who wins. I thought I'd be pulling for the Rays, but I haven't watched a single inning this postseason.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby San D » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 am

pokerplaya wrote:

Agreed....still would have loved to see him get his elbow completely cleaned up, but when you can hit .357 with 37Hr's with an arm that isn't completely healthy....

Pujols is a tough one for me. Yes, I would draft him 2nd or 3rd due to his huge stats upside, but I would not feel comfortable doing it. He has increased risk over other players in something happening during midseason where he has to hang it up and get surgery. I like my high picks to be safe. One generally doesn't win a season in the draft's early rounds, but they could lose a season with risky picks.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby clevername » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

just to reiterate, this did not address Pujols' "elbow problem" that has everyone concerned of season ending surgery each year. That problem is still there.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm

It's all about risk tolerance. Based on everything Pujols has done, there is no indication that his elbow is even remotely an issue for hi. He had surgery to make it even better. The following is a list that Rookies and Creme put together:

Rank Player MDP
1 Alex Rodriguez 1.12
2 Hanley Ramirez 3.15
3 David Wright 4.34
4 Jose Reyes 4.53
5 Matt Holliday 6.43
6 Albert Pujols 6.53
7 Chase Utley 7.19
8 Jimmy Rollins 8.17
9 Miguel Cabrera 8.37
10 Ryan Howard 10.10
11 Johan Santana 11.45
12 Prince Fielder 12.10
Full List
Even with the injury concerns, he outperformed his draft spot in 08. He'll be fine.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for the mention Yoda. Actually that MDP list you posted was from early in the draft season (3/9/08 to be exact). By the end of the draft season, Pujols dropped an additional 4 slots to an MDP of 10.56, behind Utley, MCab, Rollins, and Santana. One of the few first rounders (perhaps even the only one) to actually outperform his draft position.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Thanks for the mention Yoda. Actually that MDP list you posted was from early in the draft season (3/9/08 to be exact). By the end of the draft season, Pujols dropped an additional 4 slots to an MDP of 10.56, behind Utley, MCab, Rollins, and Santana. One of the few first rounders (perhaps even the only one) to actually outperform his draft position.

Oops... :-D

Yeah it looked a tad high to me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Pujols had the highest StDev until Ichiro at 24. Not only did he outperform his ADP but he pissed off a lot of guys who took him much later.

Also, Garza at 240 is a statistical anomaly, with a 5.70 StDev. :-?
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Pujols had the highest StDev until Ichiro at 24. Not only did he outperform his ADP but he pissed off a lot of guys who took him much later.

Also, Garza at 240 is a statistical anomaly, with a 5.70 StDev. :-?

Note that the SD in the MDP report reflects the variability between different site's ADPs (e.g., ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, etc.). It does not account for the variability between individual drafters

That actually isn't a typo with Garza. His ADP was nearly the same from site to site, which is pretty atypical

Mock Draft Central: 243.68
CBS: 242.16
ESPN: 231.20
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers