Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching at home versus away

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching at home versus away

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

On ESPN they talk about how dominant Dice-K has been pitching away, citing his 2.37 ERA and 9-0 record among other things. I know home field advantage can make some psychological difference in football and basketball (conversely for the NY Giants last year, who played better on the road), but does it really make a difference for pitchers? Is it that they get used to pitching on a certain mound, or in Dice-K's case he doesn't pitch as well at Fenway?
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pitching at home versus away

Postby MikeeDee » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 am

I don't think it's that big a deal. In my opinion, the only time you see a real difference (not a biased small sample size type difference) is when a pitcher's home park is an extreme pitchers or hitters park. Maybe Dice-K has been a little more tentative when pithcing in Fenway, but he doesn't exactly pound the strike zone in road games either.

Also, the requirements for mounds are pretty strict. The height, slopes, and rubber are all almost exactly the same.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 am

Fenway's RF porch is jumping distance from the plate and he's pathetic against lefties.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:On ESPN they talk about how dominant Dice-K has been pitching away, citing his 2.37 ERA and 9-0 record among other things. I know home field advantage can make some psychological difference in football and basketball (conversely for the NY Giants last year, who played better on the road), but does it really make a difference for pitchers? Is it that they get used to pitching on a certain mound, or in Dice-K's case he doesn't pitch as well at Fenway?

Not sure about why it plays out for some guys and not for others, but James Shields is a example of extreme differences in home and away games.

Home:
9-2, 2.59 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, .234 BAA

Away:
5-6, 4.82 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .277 BAA

Of course, he had two excellent starts on the road in Sept vs Balt and NYY. Go figure...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Fenway's RF porch is jumping distance from the plate and he's pathetic against lefties.

62 Walks in 86 Innings against lefties...yeah, I'd say that's pretty bad...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Fenway's RF porch is jumping distance from the plate and he's pathetic against lefties.

Where exactly is this RF porch you speak of at Fenway? If you mean immediately down the RF line then yeah, that's very close, but you only need to go a few feet to the left before it juts out and gets pretty deep in RF. There really aren't too many cheapy HRs hit down the RF line in Boston. As for lefties... Dice-K does walk a lot of lefties, but they only hit .225 off of him and he only gave up 7 HRs to them this year (as opposed to 14 last year), so I don't think its the park dimensions that hurt him.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers