Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 FA List and Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 FA List and Predictions

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Red Sox Nation,

I understand to an extent, but wouldn't you say its more of an attachment to Varitek being a Red Sox fan more than anything? He's just getting old and breaking down, much like Pudge in Detroit. As Yoda said, a young catcher with a great arm would not only save Boston money, but likely be more valuable on the field next season.

Of course I have an "allegiance" to Varitek as a fan, as he has meant so much to this team over the last decade plus. Part of my reasoning though, now that I think about it, is that I just don't want to see this become a negative affair ala Nomar, Pedro and Damon.

However, he's not what he used to be, (I've admitted that already) and he has now become a liability at the plate and this is a huge concern moving forward. So, I find myself asking the following questions, was this an off-year or is this simply the beginning of the end? I think it may be more of the latter which is why I say the Sox will probably not sign him for a long term contract. He's avoided the contract conversation all year long and though I missed it, I heard he was pretty emotional after the loss last night. Maybe he knows he's played his last game in a Boston uniform? I don't know...

As for a replacement, its not like good, young catchers grow on trees. I thoroughly agree that someone that fits the mold Yoda suggested would be an improvement (as it would for a number of teams in MLB), but its not like there are a ton of options.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote: Part of my reasoning though, now that I think about it, is that I just don't want to see this become a negative affair ala Nomar, Pedro and Damon.

Don't forget Manny and Clemens.

I bet that if the Sox don't want Veritek back, then he'll be on the same boat as those guys.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote: I thoroughly agree that someone that fits the mold Yoda suggested would be an improvement (as it would for a number of teams in MLB), but its not like there are a ton of options.

There aren't a ton of options, and the free agent pool of catchers is weak (probably an understatement), but for as much money as Varitek might be asking, they could almost go in any other direction and be better off. There's nobody out there they'd have to pay more than five million to. So unless he took a fairly significant pay cut...which I imagine is possible, there's no reason Boston should sign him.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bigken117 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Gotta give value to get value. It's like a guy in my league this year said in a trade proposal, "I want Wright, but I don't want to give up Braun, Teixeira, or Morneau". Needless to say, nothing happened, as his next most valuable player was DLee.

I just got Wright and Cain for Ortiz, Rivera, J. Upton and Chris Tillman in a no restriction dynasty...so it's possible O:-)
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:50 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Gotta give value to get value. It's like a guy in my league this year said in a trade proposal, "I want Wright, but I don't want to give up Braun, Teixeira, or Morneau". Needless to say, nothing happened, as his next most valuable player was DLee.

I just got Wright and Cain for Ortiz, Rivera, J. Upton and Chris Tillman in a no restriction dynasty...so it's possible O:-)

Yeah, but major league GMs are smarter than--

:-?
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)