Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 FA List and Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2009 FA List and Predictions

Postby Zito is God » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:18 am

Anyone have the list of all the FA for this offseason? And for that matter, what are the predictions for who signs where?
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 FA List and Predictions

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 am

A prediction: The Yankees will sign both Sabathia and Burnett.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Zito is God » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 am

mweir145 wrote:A prediction: The Yankees will sign both Sabathia and Burnett.

I guarantee Burnett wears pinstripes next year, Sbathia I can only hope for. I see him in LA or MIL.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 am

Eww. If they sign two, I hope it's CC and Lowe. Although I don't understand why they need two unless both Moose and Pettitte retire.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 am

Zito is God wrote:

I guarantee Burnett wears pinstripes next year, Sbathia I can only hope for. I see him in LA or MIL.

You think he'll stay in Milwaukee for less money?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:00 am

I don't have any inside knowledge or readings, but I'd be surprised to see CC back with MIL. I dunno....I feel like the Brewers sense that they might need to rebuild next year and not bother signing him. He might price himself out of there. Not to mention they got every penny out of his arm down the stretch and into the playoffs. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 am

Early word is that CC loved it in Milwaukee...loved the clubhouse, loved to hit (could do that elsewhere in the NL too obviously). It's probably just cheap talk, but he claims he would love to resign here and will give us every opportunity. Our owner likes to make big splashes and will certainly make an effort. All that said, I still don't think it will be enough. I think he would have to take a pretty decent size discount to stay. I think they could make it work financially this year by letting Gagne (10 Mil), Cameron (10 Mil), and Sheets (11 Mil) go, which are all very reasonable. It's the length of the contract that I don't think we can commit to.

Ryn, I don't think they view '09 as a rebuilding year per se. I think the same corps of young hitters can continue to improve (most will be hitting the 25-26 year old range this coming season), and Gallardo can replace what Sheets gives us. If they could somehow bring back CC, and fill out the rotation with Gallardo, Parra, Bush, that's pretty good. If they let Cameron walk to make it work, they could try and find a LH hitting OF with good OBP skills to bolster two major weaknesses in the lineup (LH, OBP). Maybe Brian Giles? I don't know, but I don't think our current owner views '09 as a rebuilding year.

Also...it'll be interesting to see what happens with FA-to-be Ben Sheets. Considering he logged ~200 innings this year, it looked as if he'd cash in big, but now it turns out his elbow is all frayed up. I don't know if anyone would take a chance on a long term deal with him now. I could maybe see him back in Milwaukee. Maybe he accepts arbitration on a 1 year, 10-12 million dollar type "prove yourself" type deal, similar to what Gagne got this year.
Last edited by Scooter1027 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:56 am

Scooter1027 wrote:Ryn, I don't think they view '09 as a rebuilding year per se. I think the same corps of young hitters can continue to improve (most will be hitting the 25-26 year old range this coming season), and Gallardo can replace what Sheets gives us. If they could somehow bring back CC, and fill out the rotation with Gallardo, Parra, Bush, that's pretty good. If they let Cameron walk to make it work, they could try and find a LH hitting OF with good OBP skills to bolster two major weaknesses in the lineup (LH, OBP). Maybe Brian Giles? I don't know, but I don't think our current owner views '09 as a rebuilding year.

Good points!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 am

I think the most interesting FA is Mark Teixiera. Has anyone heard where he might end up? Does it seem like Anaheim's gonna make a big push to bring him back?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers