Return to Baseball Leftovers

To all of the Angels fans...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: To all of the Angels fans...

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:29 pm

And to the argument above, bunting is stupid. It reeks of NL baseball. I wouldn't have bunted with Kendrick, and I certainly wouldn't have bunted with Aybar. Let them hit, and chances are they would have scored that run, with the potential for more.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:12 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Mugrila wrote:
HunglikeChampions wrote:
Because with a fastball pitcher, 2-0 count and your best bunter batting and only needing to score 1 run to possibly win the game, thats one of your best options?

Did they have any pinch hitters available? Aybar pretty much killed the Angels at the plate this series.

I don't see how you go for a squeeze with one out. All you need is a sac fly to get the lead run home. If you can't trust your hitters to at least attempt to hit the ball to the outfield, then....I don't know. I'm not even sure what to say. But risking that run with a squeeze just seems like a bad move. That's a play that's going to haunt the Angels for a while.

I agree. I just don't like the play. They had plenty of hitters to sub in that could have hit a deep fly ball and Wood to sub in on defense.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:31 pm

I don't see a problem with the play. It was one play and had it gone the other way, everyone would be saying what a genius Sciocia is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't see a problem with the play. It was one play and had it gone the other way, everyone would be saying what a genius Sciocia is.

It was a high % play. Aybar just blew it. He should have Rudy Stein-ed one of those knuckle-busters, giving them guys on first and third. Willits should have made a dive or slide for third, too.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't see a problem with the play. It was one play and had it gone the other way, everyone would be saying what a genius Sciocia is.

I'd probably still be calling it stupid NL baseball.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 am

mweir145 wrote:

I'd probably still be calling it stupid NL baseball.

Yeah, even if they had pulled it off, I'd still have thought that it was the wrong move.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby markj11 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:23 am

RynMan wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Mugrila wrote:
Did they have any pinch hitters available? Aybar pretty much killed the Angels at the plate this series.

I don't see how you go for a squeeze with one out. All you need is a sac fly to get the lead run home. If you can't trust your hitters to at least attempt to hit the ball to the outfield, then....I don't know. I'm not even sure what to say. But risking that run with a squeeze just seems like a bad move. That's a play that's going to haunt the Angels for a while.

I agree. I just don't like the play. They had plenty of hitters to sub in that could have hit a deep fly ball and Wood to sub in on defense.

I don't see anything wrong with the sqeeze. Bunting should be one of easiest things to do in baseball, much easier than hitting a deep fly ball.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:47 pm

markj11 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the sqeeze. Bunting should be one of easiest things to do in baseball, much easier than hitting a deep fly ball.

Well for me, it's not a question about how easy it is to execute, it's about the level or risk involved. If the squeeze play was such an easy play to pull off managers would do it all the time instead of looking for a deep fly ball....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 pm

I think it was a good call that Scioscia made. This wasn't the first time the Angels had ran a suicide squeeze play and they had done quite well in the situations where they've played them. The bottom of the order for the Angels had been atrocious all series long, Aybar in particular, and in general they had labored a bit hitting with men in scoring position. Aybar is a for-contact hitter and even with a guy with speed at 3rd in Willits, Aybar isn't likely to hit a flyball deep enough to score Willits. The main reason most folks had flak with the squeeze play is just because of the timing of it all.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers