Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy available?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Peavy available?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Madison wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Why is it that Kemp is mentioned in almost every trade rumor involving the Dodgers. Why would they be so eager to get rid of a player with so much potential?

I don't think it's that the Dodgers are interested in moving him, I think it's that there are a lot of other teams interested in him. If the Dodgers were eager to move him, he'd already be gone. ;-)

Eager probably wasn't the best word. "willing" is more what I am thinking. If he was really off-limits like he should be (IMO), his name wouldn't even come up in trade discussions.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Kemp is a physical specimen with a $.10 brain. He makes so many fundamental mistakes along with mental lapses that drives people crazy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 pm

The Dodgers trading Kemp and Kershaw for Peavy seems pretty far-fetched. Colletti is intent on keeping the nucleus of Martin/Ethier/Kemp/Loney together, but then again there was some front office friction to deal either or any of those four listed for an impact player before the deadline. This is especially true in the case of Kemp and Loney when some feel neither have made the progress for their liking. Needless to say, it would still be silly to see Kemp and/or Kershaw dealt. For Peavy, it makes sense, but I think that there's still somewhat of an injury concern with Peavy and two, that's a copout if the Dodgers' efforts to re-sign Lowe fall through for whatever reason.

I'd say making a move for Peavy or signing Sabathia is really most dependent on what happens with Derek Lowe, which is just as important or more so than signing Manny in my opinion. If Lowe goes, the Dodgers are left with Billingsley, Kuroda, and Kershaw as shoo-in starters for '09. McDonald has a fair shot at the rotation next year I'd think whereas Penny could likely walk and Schmidt seems to be a tough ask to come back with close to a full bill of health. That would then put an impetus to shelling out on Sabathia, Burnett, or Sheets on money that could otherwise be used to re-sign Manny. Trading for Peavy still seems like a last resort.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Yoda wrote:Kemp is a physical specimen with a $.10 brain. He makes so many fundamental mistakes along with mental lapses that drives people crazy.

He just turned 24 years old. Give the guy a break. He cut down his k rate and increased his walk rate in the second half of the season.....and nearly went 20/40. He sounds like the kind of player I would want to build my team around.....not use as a trading chip.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Why would the Dodgers give up Kemp and Kershaw - two budding superstars - for the right to pay Peavy $16M a year for the next 5 years when they could just give Sabathia $20-25M per year for the next 6 and still have Kemp and Kershaw?

Because Colletti is a ridiculous moron. Look at what talent he paid for Casey Blake.
If the Padres are REALLY prepared to deal Peavy to the Dodgers, then Towers will gut L.A like a fish in the deal.
And Kemp is available - the Dodgers have 3 CFers remember?

}:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:

Well, Let's call a spade a spade here. Kemp is coming into his own slowly by surely and Pierre and Jones combined are just about worthless. So, really we are talking about one and a half center fielders... :-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:46 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:

Well, Let's call a spade a spade here. Kemp is coming into his own slowly by surely and Pierre and Jones combined are just about worthless. So, really we are talking about one and a half center fielders... :-D

:-D :-b

The thing people are getting wrong in this thread is, it's not what common sense, normal people would do, it what the two-headed retard of MCCourt/Colletti will do. It's all well and good that the rest of the world values Kemp/Kershaw/McDonald/Mystery Prospect at value X, but who is to say that's what the L.A front office thinks (if they are capable of thought :-S ). For all we know McCourt has wet his Depends and signed a blank trading cheque for Colletti.

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Kemp is a physical specimen with a $.10 brain. He makes so many fundamental mistakes along with mental lapses that drives people crazy.

He just turned 24 years old. Give the guy a break. He cut down his k rate and increased his walk rate in the second half of the season.....and nearly went 20/40. He sounds like the kind of player I would want to build my team around.....not use as a trading chip.

That is my point. He is an awesome baseball talent but his mental game is not up to par. Based on what I've seen, he will be one of those guys who will never consistently live up to his potential.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

That is my point. He is an awesome baseball talent but his mental game is not up to par. Based on what I've seen, he will be one of those guys who will never consistently live up to his potential.

Sounds just like Alex Rios to me. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 pm

^^^Let's not relegate Kemp and Rios to Rickie Weeks territory. :-o

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:

Pierre deserves to be a 4th OF and Jones deserves to be in AAA, but their reputation (in Pierre's case) and contract (in Jones' case) will still give them much, much more playing time than they deserve. It's what really pissed me off as a Kemp owner for most of the year and Ethier for the stretch run, seeing Pierre and Jones out there instead of Kemp and Ethier. :-t I'm worried it will be more of the same in '09.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

PreviousNext