Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does Cashman still have a job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why does Cashman still have a job?

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:09 pm

While I don't agree that situations are completely meaningless in how certain guys perform, the fact that Sabathia pitched as well as he did in the second half for Milwaukee when almost every game mattered tells you its not a case of him not being able to handle the pressure. I think his postseason struggles likely have more to do with the fact that he was 6th in total pitch count in 2007 and 1st in 2008 heading into the playoffs. Milwaukee abused him unnecessarily when they had all the evidence they needed from 2007. I don't fault them for starting him on 3 days rest during the final weeks, but those August complete game blowouts were utterly ridiculous.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote: It's 25 innings. No, 25 innings is not a blip on my radar, and I pray it isn't on the Yankees radar, otherwise we are going to have problems.

Imagine this scenario:

"Sorry CC, you're just not a clutch enough pitcher for our liking. Look at those 25 innings. We'd rather bring in Curt Schilling, he's got that post-season experience we covet here in New York."

:-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 pm

BTW, I was actually hoping something similar to that would happen last offseason. But at 3rd base with ARod, not CC.

Nearly did happen.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 pm

I attribute most of CC's poor showing in the postseason to abuse in the regular season. It's the abuse to his arm that is the only thing that concerns me about Sabathia.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers