Return to Baseball Leftovers

Free Agent Pitchers: Think Again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Free Agent Pitchers: Think Again

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:40 am

Yoda wrote:
rotoworld wrote:Jake Peavy told reporters at the end of the season that he would not accept a trade to the AL.
When asked about his trade stance again Tuesday in the midst of reports that he's on the block Peavy responded that he didn't "want to get into any speculation." His preference is important given the full no-trade clause included in his recent contract extension. "Jake has a strong preference to stay in the National League," agent Barry Axelrod said. Alexrod added that "Jake would only approve a trade to a team with a solid chance of winning," specifically mentioning Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and St. Louis as cities that fit "his and his family's lifestyle."

I heard Peavy said he would waive his no-trade clause if traded to the Angels but that is the only AL team.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:00 am

I live in San Diego and follow the Pads pretty closely. Fans barely support their teams here (Chargers can't even sell out) and if they trade Peavy for nothing then the team will probably end up relocating.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby bigwords » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

Which seems to be an argument for Robinson Cano. I mean, the average Padres fan is not going to know who Jason Heyward is. If the Padres are trading their star player, it helps to get a brand name player back. Especially since Padres fans know the team has been pitiful on offense. And as a fantasy guy, I think Cano and his high-contact ways would be perfect in that stadium.

That said, I don't think it's going to happen. I think it makes a lot of sense, but there are too many variables to make it happen. I don't think, though, that the Yankees get Sabathia either.

My guess is Burnett, Lowe, and Teixeira.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 am

I am 99% confident that CC will be in pinstripes in 09.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 am

Yoda wrote:I am 99% confident that CC will be in pinstripes in 09.

Me too.

I think Tex and CC is a chance of happening as well.

Unless Ca$hman is allowed another Giambi + caddy combination. :-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers