Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round a joke?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First round a joke?

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:53 pm

A joke? I don't think so at all. I think all the first round matchups have a lot of potential:

Rays vs. Twins/Sox -- This might be the only series that I see clearly going to one team, that being the Rays. The Twins might be a better matchup...despite their lack of power (only 111 HR), they're 4th in all of baseball in runs scored. They might be able to keep up with Kazmir/Shields/Garza, and the Twins themselves have a solid rotation lead by Baker/Slowey/Liriano. The Rays offense can be beaten, they're middle of the pack (13th) in RS.

Red Sox vs. Angels -- True, the Sox have typically bested the Angels, but this is a better Angels club. The preseason addition of Torii Hunter and midseason addition of Mark Teixiera have been big, but really it's the pitching that's been incredible. Lackey/Santana/Saunders with the occasional Weaver start is a great postseason rotation, and they have 4 of the most productive RP in the MLB with Oliver, Shields, Arredondo, and K-Rod. I actually think the Angels win.

NL is a little murkier yet, the matchups are very much up in the air still, but...

Cubs vs. Dodgers or Mets -- I think the Cubs win either series, but the Dodgers might give the Cubs more trouble. I don't know that the Mets have the pitching right now to compete -- they can't pitch Santana every game. After that, who do you trust against the Cubs' offensive juggernaut? Pelfrey? Ollie Perez? I dunno. The Cubs boast what will likely be the best postseason rotation in Dempster (legit Cy Young candidate), Harden, and Zambrano, with Lilly a solid 4th as needed. The Dodgers boast the league's 2nd best team ERA (a great 1-2 in Billinglsey/Lowe), and have been better offensively since adding Manny.

Phillies vs. Dodgers or Brewers -- This should be interesting either way. The Phils surprisingly have the 6th best team ERA in baseball thanks to Hamel, the ageless Moyer, and a very solid bullpen. I assume they'll try and get Hamels/Moyer/Blanton pretty much all the starts if possible, I don't know how they can trust Myers at this point. They have always had a dangerous offense and Howard has caught fire this month. The Dodgers can compete for the same reasons listed above; however, the Brewers might be more dangerous. 4th best ERA in baseball despite missing Gallardo most the season, and he's back. A SP trio of Sabathia/Sheets/Gallardo is filthy, could beat almost anyone as long as the offense can play decently.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:53 pm

In a word. No.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:59 pm

On the contrary, the divisionals are all intriguing one way or another. I see the NL as a crapshoot and I think all 4 AL teams have their advantages that will put them on top.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't underestimate the Dodgers too much. The fact is since Manny has been a mainstay in the Dodger lineup, they're finally getting runs across. Whatever they get out of Furcal and Kent is gravy, but I think the lineup as a whole has gotten better. Moreover, Billingsley and Lowe going 1-2 in a short series could at least spell a split of the first two games, which is why I believe a divisional series vs. the Cubs isn't a bad thing. The problem is the Dodgers' starters outside of Billingsley and Lowe consist of wild cards, which is the big point of concern. The other concern is actually the bullpen. Broxton looks a bit tired, Kuo is in effect shut down for the year, and Saito still looks relatively shaky despite Park and Wade being revelations of sorts.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am

RocketsDWM wrote:You cannot count out the Angels based on history. The Sox received terrible news today that Lowell suffered a setback. I think he is essential to a successful playoff run. The Sox can certainly work around it but he is a huge boost to the lineup. He could have provided the protection needed for Papi.

I agree with Bloody Sox - Why would the Angels make that move? Any Angels fans want to add clarity to that decision (maybe remember a quote from Mike S. about the reasoning?).

If I could hazard to guess, Scioscia has probably planned on having a 3-man rotation of Lackey/Ervin/Saunders to begin with. I don't think Scioscia has a great deal of confidence in starting Weaver at Fenway in a more favorable hitter's yard and he thinks he has the change of pace already in Saunders after Lackey/Ervin (no need for Garland). The interesting thing is that outside of a no-hit bid last time at Fenway, Lackey's record at Fenway is suspect.

As to why Scioscia wanted to have the series started on Wednesday instead of Thursday, I have no clue about that.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:As to why Scioscia wanted to have the series started on Wednesday instead of Thursday, I have no clue about that.

can someone show me the way to find the playoff schedules? i cant seem to find the gametimes for any of the games

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/schedules
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:52 am

Snakes Gould wrote:yeah i saw them earlier this morning, but as of last night, i couldnt find anything...

3pm for the phils on wednesday :-P

Snakes...do you know how the rotation is going to stack up for Philly from start to finish? I'll be damned if I have any clue how Milwaukee's will be. It got so convoluted down the stretch in an effort to get in the postseason. I would guess maybe it will go something like this?

Game 1 -- Gallardo
Game 2 -- Sabathia
Game 3 -- Bush
Game 4 -- Gallardo/Suppan?
Game 5 -- Sabathia

Looks like Sheets is probably out for the rest of the year. Gallardo just returned from that knee injury but was very good in his one appearance back. Suppan has that "postseason" pitcher reputation but has not been good over the last month or so. I really have no idea how it's gonna pan out...maybe they'll just pitch CC every game :-b
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby BritSox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:48 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I won't be sad just so long as Boston doesn't win.

Likewise, I feel like we're playing with house money since the Yankees aren't even involved. ;-D

It's like 2006 in reverse.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers