Return to Baseball Leftovers

Robb Nen Update - Important

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:51 pm

I agree with TownDrunk. I too am from the bay area and I think rodriguez sucks bigtime. He had one good year: his first year with the giants when he did really well. Dont get me wrong, he has great stuff, but he always locates it up in the zone, so if he has an off day with that stuff, he gets hammered. And manytimes he just walks the bases loaded. That is not something you want in a closer.

BTW, anyone have any other inside info on Nen?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:54 pm

I've read articles about how the Giants were impressed with Rodriguez's improvement, and also about how they are looking into acquiring Urbina. I didn't just make it up. I'll see if I can go find them.......

And also, do you have any evidence that Rodriguez's BS's came in the 9th inning? Or is this just based on sour grapes about having him blow a few saves that costed them a few games? That's why I don't trust people who have seen players perform on TV. They are biased based on the general impression they have of a certain player. For instance, Madison thinks Loaiza is terrible because he had to watch him pitch in Texas for 3 years. I had to deal with 3 terrible Loaiza seasons in Toronto, too, but I guess I'm just more open-minded. I'll be back when I find the sources about F-Rod/Urbina.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby mbuser » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:56 pm

i did hear on 680 AM that frod is throwing a pitch that is just silly although i forget what it was exactly. i also heard alou said that if nen can't go that herges is his guy because they really like frod in the setup role. i think nen should be completely avoided and that herges is the guy you want to take in the late rounds.
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:04 pm

I found this article on his new pitch.
[url]sports.excite.com/news/03...v9401.html[/url]

That's it. Nothing about Urbina. In fact, I just posted this on the Giants board and you want to hear one of the replies? "When you said FRod had a new pitch I just assumed he started selling Ginsu knives." How long will he keep it up though? Not long, I think, before he reverts back to his fastball away, fastball away style.

If I was a "bias hometown fan," wouldn't I be trying to talk Rodriguez up?

I have watched Rodriguez blow games countless times at Pac Bell. Like Bloody said, all he does is throw fastballs out of the zone. He was once talked about being one of the best relievers in baseball, but now he has fallen below that. I don't know what kind of evidence I can give you, as I don't think there is a stat showing if he blown the games in the 9th inning. All I can go by is what I remember and of the couple of tapes I have of him getting hammered in the 9th.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:08 pm

Mercury News wrote:Colletti said he would listen to overtures from free-agent closer Ugueth Urbina if agent Peter Greenberg will knock down his asking price of more than $4 million per year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 128325.htm

SFGate.com wrote:Giants eye Urbina: The Giants have looked into signing reliever Ugueth Urbina, the Florida Marlins' closer during their championship run last season. They view Urbina as potential insurance for closer Robb Nen, who is trying to rebound from three shoulder operations. Even if Nen returns, Urbina could add a strong right-handed arm to the bullpen.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 5FNCA1.DTL

Alameda Times wrote:Free agent Ugueth Urbina remains unsigned and could be a valuable addition if Nen cannot start the season

http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 28,00.html

MLB.com wrote:Rodriguez came to Spring Training in tip-top shape -- no flab on this man -- and the warning siren has already sounded: Rodriguez plans to alter his pitches now, mixing in breaking balls and offspeed stuff.............."He definitely won't be a one-pitch guy," said manager Felipe Alou. "But that one pitch is so good -- he has a helluva fastball. His sinker is the one that will make the difference, at least to me. It's an old-fashioned two-seam fastball, but it's breaking really good."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:12 pm

I stand corrected then. These all came out this weekend, and I have not yet read my papers. The last I had heard was that Sabean was going to keep that $6 million that magically apeared in his vest pocket come the trade deadline.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:27 pm

I don't think Felix is going to turn into a closer at the age of 32. Like TownDrunk stated, he is the kind of guy who makes you worry when he takes the mound.

The talk out of spring training the last few seasons has been that he is working on a new pitch. Even if Felix does add another pitch, I would be very surprised to see him get more than 5 saves in 2004.

Likewise, if Urbina ends up in SF, I will be shocked. If a strong season of closing put Worrell (a good pitcher and good guy to have in the clubhouse) out of the Giants' price range, why would the closer for the World Series winners be affordable enough?

In addition, with a strong spring, Ryan Wagner/Chad Cordero-like David Aardsma could get a chance to close some games in 2004. Aardsma was the 22nd overall pick in 2003 amateur draft. He was a sensational closer for the 2003 College World Series champions, Rice University.
Last edited by shortsavage on Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby mbuser » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:27 pm

i was hoping no one else would show interest and the buccos would be able to sign him :-[
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:32 pm

Exactly short. If it happens, it just goes to show that Magowan and Co. had no offseason plan.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:41 pm

I also doubt the Giants will sign Urbina, in fact I doubt anybody will sign him before the season starts............just thought I'd mention that they've showed interest.

And from what I've heard about F-Rod's two-seamer, it sounds like he will at least be able to have a better ERA and WHIP. Whether or not he gets a shot as closer depends on lots of things like getting Urbina, Nen's health, and how effective Herges is.

The home town bias that I was referring to was that you've seen him do terrible in some games, so it's like you're bitter over that fact. I'll stick with listening to scouts and professionals rather than emotional fans who can have their opinions swayed by a few bad performances. No offense to you, because I'm sure I do it too, but when it comes to making decisions about my team, I like to listen to objective professionals.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers