him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TownDrunk » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:18 pm

The Giants have interest in Urbina? That's news to me.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby cannonarm21 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:49 am

Does anyone have anything new on the SF closer situation? When I heard about Nen I quickly ran and picked up Herges, but now I''m afraid Rodriguez will be the closer and I will be without the closer. I have no room to pick up F-Rod.

I'm starting to regret some of the choices I made in my draft. I took some flyers on injury-prone players, and I'm already starting to see the negative impact. I drafted Nen, but I also got Sweeney, Luis Gonzalez and Klesko. I figure between Sweeney and Klesko they should be able to give me a decent starting 1B throughout the year. I drafted L.Gonzalez, but also have Sosa,J.Guillen,Cameron and Klesko (OF eligible after 15 games) to back him up.

Do you think I have capable backups, or should I see what free agents/trading could bring?
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby WharfRat » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:24 pm

cannonarm21 wrote:Does anyone have anything new on the SF closer situation? When I heard about Nen I quickly ran and picked up Herges, but now I''m afraid Rodriguez will be the closer and I will be without the closer. I have no room to pick up F-Rod.

I'm starting to regret some of the choices I made in my draft. I took some flyers on injury-prone players, and I'm already starting to see the negative impact. I drafted Nen, but I also got Sweeney, Luis Gonzalez and Klesko. I figure between Sweeney and Klesko they should be able to give me a decent starting 1B throughout the year. I drafted L.Gonzalez, but also have Sosa,J.Guillen,Cameron and Klesko (OF eligible after 15 games) to back him up.

Do you think I have capable backups, or should I see what free agents/trading could bring?

I'd at least test the market. Those are four guys that could all get hurt, and you might get someone to take them off your hands.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:38 pm

Herges will be the closer if Nen isn't ready to go. F-Raud will setup.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:21 pm

F-Rod has been said to have learned a new pitch so he won't be just throwing heat anymore. He's been impressing the Dodgers' coaches, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a chance at some point. He's not as bad a closer as people think.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:30 pm

Yes, he is that bad of a closer. I have watched many, many Giants games over the years and I can tell you all that he isn't that good. F-Raud was supposedly learning a new pitch last year as well. Did it help him any? Nope, he still pitched fastball away, fastball away.

He has 10 career saves and 20 career blown saves.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:44 pm

TownDrunk wrote:He has 10 career saves and 20 career blown saves.

Thank you for proving my point. Most people think that because he has 20 blown saves he's a bad closer. But most of those came while he was the setup man and were not actual save situations. If he was successful, he didn't get a save, but if he screwed up, he got a blown save.

And I never believe people when they say they've seen a certain player play and they know how good or bad thy are. No disrespect to them, or you in this case, but Rodriguez has been said to be greatly improved this season, and I'll believe scouts over biased home town fans.

Don't get me wrong, I think Herges will start out as the closer, but I can see Rodriguez getting a shot at some point too.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:46 pm

LBJackal wrote:
TownDrunk wrote:He has 10 career saves and 20 career blown saves.

Thank you for proving my point. Most people think that because he has 20 blown saves he's a bad closer. But most of those came while he was the setup man and were not actual save situations. If he was successful, he didn't get a save, but if he screwed up, he got a blown save.

I agree. Way too many people misinterperate blown saves. Good job. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:48 pm

Actually, most of those blown saves came while he was trying to close out games. Baker always liked him as a closer and would at times slide him into that position.

I just find it funny that a lot of guys comment on players that havent really seen play. I have yet to see any reports on how good Rodriguez is supposed to be this year. There is not any mention of it on any of the active Giants message boards I participate on, nor is there any mention of their interest in Urbina, like you suggested.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers