One of my money leagues is a H2H league where I have been dominating the regular season but getting my !@# kicked in the playoffs. Here are some trends I try to keep in mind.
- Teams in contention play their best hitters more often. A good 30ish year old hitter on a bad team will rest a lot.
- Good young hitters play everyday no matter how good or bad the team is.
- In a league that counts holds, the appearances of a mediocre RP get watered down when the rosters turn to 40.
- In leagues where you can fit them in your cap, having extra pitchers on your roster and being able to plug a SP into a utility type slot for a day is an advantage. At least you know when SP's are going to pitch. You have no idea when a hitter is going to rest.
- If a team is too good and clinches everything already, their best hitters and pitchers rest. This is rare, because there is almost always home field advantage to play for, but it does happen.
- Bad teams with no shot will play their stud prospects in September. It's a crapshoot how well they do.
These trends have been forcibly planted in my head through years of playoff losing.