Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Lester realizing his potential?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Lester realizing his potential?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 am

Yoda wrote:
MadMobius wrote: I also think Lester will STILL be undervalued next year and will make a great later pick...

Not if he has a great playoff run.

Well, he's definitely off to a great start. It's interesting that he plays for arguably the most popular team in baseball and yet I would argue he still doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. Have you even heard his name mentioned once for CY consideration? I am not saying he should win it by any means.....but his name hasn't even been part of the discussion. He nearly threw two no-hitters!
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:44 am

He'll definitely get some Cy votes. I don't know why you believe that he won't. His numbers however, pale in comparison to Cliff Lee or Halladay.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 am

Yoda wrote:He'll definitely get some Cy votes. I don't know why you believe that he won't. His numbers however, pale in comparison to Cliff Lee or Halladay.

I didn't say he wouldn't get any votes.....I am just surprised that his name hasn't been thrown around for consideration given that he plays for Boston. Say Beckett had identical numbers, I am sure we'd hear more about it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MadMobius » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 am

Well his BAA was basically the same as it was last year. His saving grace was he didn't issue as many free passes (per ip) compared to previous seasons thereby limiting the damage. With a team like Boston backing you up on the scoreboard that translates into a nice W total.

There are so many good young pitchers that have come up in the last couple of years and still a lot of saavy veterans that he could slip down farther than he should (unless, like Yoda said, he goes completely off in the playoffs)... if he can keep that walk rate down or even improve upon it (or his BAA), then he could really take off next season...

he seems to be pitching with a TON of confidence so I'll be banking on even more improvement next season...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Something else to note is that Lester was in the 95mph range last night and I saw him hit as high as 97mph this season. His new founded velocity and makeup compounded with him being a lefty has really allowed him to take the next step. I'm glad other people are now joining me on my island that is Lester. FYI, I traded Lester for Votto in a dynasty league since I'm stacked in pitching for the coming years but I'd say that trade has been about even so far.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Something else to note is that Lester was in the 95mph range last night and I saw him hit as high as 97mph this season. His new founded velocity and makeup compounded with him being a lefty has really allowed him to take the next step. I'm glad other people are now joining me on my island that is Lester. FYI, I traded Lester for Votto in a dynasty league since I'm stacked in pitching for the coming years but I'd say that trade has been about even so far.

Yup, that is the main reason why I'm becoming a believer...he's put on 2-4 mph on his fastball since pre-cancer. That and he has better control now as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:26 pm

J35J wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Something else to note is that Lester was in the 95mph range last night and I saw him hit as high as 97mph this season. His new founded velocity and makeup compounded with him being a lefty has really allowed him to take the next step. I'm glad other people are now joining me on my island that is Lester. FYI, I traded Lester for Votto in a dynasty league since I'm stacked in pitching for the coming years but I'd say that trade has been about even so far.

Yup, that is the main reason why I'm becoming a believer...he's put on 2-4 mph on his fastball since pre-cancer. That and he has better control now as well.

His control has been the major thing for him and the increased velocity has been the icing on the cake. Very, very impressed with his development and even though he was a little rough to start the game last night, he remaied poised and pitched like he belonged out there in Game 1. Well done!
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Lester's fastball last year came in at an average of 89.9 MPH. This year? 92.1.

A very significant difference.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Triplec223 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

Yes I saw him pitch last week and was amazed with how hard he was throwing. He was REGULARLY touching 97 mph and i saw him hit 98 once as well. To be honest, I haven't watched him pitch AT ALL this year until last week. I was very impressed and had no idea he threw that hard.
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Triplec223 wrote:Yes I saw him pitch last week and was amazed with how hard he was throwing. He was REGULARLY touching 97 mph and i saw him hit 98 once as well. To be honest, I haven't watched him pitch AT ALL this year until last week. I was very impressed and had no idea he threw that hard.

The gun was probably jacked. He doesn't throw THAT hard, though his velocity is higher than ever before. The fastest starters in baseball throw at an average of about 95 (Felix, Ervin Santana, McGowan, Beckett, Burnett, etc).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers