Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Lester realizing his potential?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Lester realizing his potential?

Postby nsulham » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 am

The K's are up, ERA is low and most importantly the walks are coming down. He's got 9 wins now, how likely is it he gets to 15? I picked him up back in late May and I've been pleasantly pleased ever since. He's becoming quite the pitcher, both real life and fantasy.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Lester realizing his potential?

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 am

He can very easily get to 15 wins. He's pitching great these days and the Red Sox offense will give him plenty of run support - I'm surprised he only has 9 wins, to be honest. Also, though he's only at about 6.2 K/9 for the year, that rate has gone up quite a bit recently too... he's at 8.2 for the month of July. I'm very pleased at Lester's progress - he was annoying to watch at times over the last couple of years with all the nibbling and walks and working out of jams... he's in much better control of the strikezone this year.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 am

I have to say I was very wrong about him. He looked good last night against a hot Yankees lineup.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:10 am

His stuff is better now than it was pre-cancer. I've not seen him pitch alot but he was definately throwing harder last night than I have ever seen him throw. If last night is what he is then he moves up my board for next year and beyond!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 am

My only reservation about Lester was his control, which is coming along.Jon Miller was commenting that Jason Varitek believed that Lester will be the best left handed pitcher in MLB in two seasons.In my book, that's high praise.To come back from cancer and not only come back to compete,which in itself is amazing, but to excel at this level is remarkable. Great story.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am

Lester is making me look very smart as I touted him a future ace, while getting a ton of flack for it, and he's doing nothing but proving me right. Hit 97 mph once last night on ESPN's radar btw.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:19 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Tek also said Lester is pitching at 60% strength. I think the Pettite comparison is still valid but he may have number 1 stuff down the road if he continues on this path. His WHIP isnt terrific but he knows how to get out of the jams and keep his ERA down while keeping his team in the game. Surprisingly, it has been Lester, not Beckett, that has been the ace of the staff so far.

Starting with his April 29 start against Toronto, his WHIP is 1.19 (not to mention that his ERA is 2.50)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 am

So glad I held onto him in my 20 team league while he was struggling early on.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby thedude » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 pm

He was rated as a better prospect than Papelbon when they were both in the minors for a reason. Lester has good stuff, but his command was his biggest problem early in his career. Now he is throwing strikes he has been really good.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers