Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Research Matchup Ratings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Research Matchup Ratings

Postby Bwanna » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 pm

If you adjust your line-ups by casually looking at the matchup ratings stars that Yahoo displays under Research > Matchup Ratings... be careful.

I just happened to notice the following...

OK, I know that Murph and Davis are left-handers, and that I always check the Ranger line-up when Murph faces lefties and I often bench him. Knowing Buehrle is a lefty, I do a double-take when I see that they both have 5 stars. Checking further, I see that the matchup comment for Davis says:

"Slugging 1.091 in 11 ABs against right-handed pitchers in the lower-tier since last year."

Huh?

So, I hit my magic 'Show Details' button, and I see...
I'm glad that LaRoche has a batting average of .333 vs Oswalt, but the other matchup data says Roy ain't pitchin' tonight. :-S

This is the first time I've noticed errors, but apparently it's simply because the matchup data is out-of-date: Roy hit the DL, and Cassel was called up to pitch. Buehrle wasn't scheduled to pitch today, but was moved up a day. Just a word to the wise, double-check those ratings.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Research Matchup Ratings

Postby Marrakesh Express » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:24 pm

i never trust these rankings. It'll say prince fielder is batting .750 vs pitchers like so and so. Yea he's 3 for 4 against them since last year. Plus for rookies or they don't even have matchup data. I only look at them for football since they don't need to be updated every day and they usually get it right in football.
http://baseballtriweekly.blogspot.com/
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Yahoo Research Matchup Ratings

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Compared to your "magic button" the star ratings are pretty much worthless. I'll look at the numbers myself and decide what the chances are of someone having a good day.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers