Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.

Lets see how Loewen does with it before we suggest anyone else try.

The swing of a bat is such an unnaturally violent motion that I think most teams would be hesitant to let their pitchers take regular batting practice.

Many pitchers played a position in HS/College and some where pretty decent hitters, but the value of a quality pitcher seems to outweigh an occasional at bat.

It has always surprised me though that some AAA hitter never tried to develop a knuckleball and become a reliever. Think about a guy like Wakefield who could PH.

Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 am

thedude wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.

Lets see how Loewen does with it before we suggest anyone else try.

The swing of a bat is such an unnaturally violent motion that I think most teams would be hesitant to let their pitchers take regular batting practice.

Many pitchers played a position in HS/College and some where pretty decent hitters, but the value of a quality pitcher seems to outweigh an occasional at bat.

It has always surprised me though that some AAA hitter never tried to develop a knuckleball and become a reliever. Think about a guy like Wakefield who could PH.

Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.

I remember McCarty now, good call. I don't recall, but I dont think Wakefield was much of a hitter. I was thinking more of an Eric Patterson type. A guy whos not quite good enough for the bigs, but if he could bring something extra to the table might stick.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:45 am

thedude wrote:Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.

Unless Im totally missing something, no he wasn't. He only played some rookie ball as a 1B/3B, and barely got a taste of Low A (he couldn't hit at either level).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 am

Brooks Kieshnick is the last player that saw extended playing time (and relative success) on both sides of the ball with the Brewers.

Kieshnick stats
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 83)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers