Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the Rookies/Sophmores

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ranking the Rookies/Sophmores

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:I think if you're going to do a list like this you have to include the top guys like Lincecum and Longoria for argument's sake. I also agree with Yoda that Joba belongs at or near the top of the list and ahead of Buchholz. He is quickly asserting himself as a solid pitcher and should only get better.

I really don't like the fact that the Sox tried to tinker with Buchholz's mechanics midseason. I thought that maybe he could adjust quickly but he hasn't so far. Disappointing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, I think we were all hoping that he would come back up and inject a little life into this team, but he just doesn't look right out there.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm

From everything I've heard, Buchholz has particularly been unlucky. I wouldn't jump ship too quick.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:From everything I've heard, Buchholz has particularly been unlucky. I wouldn't jump ship too quick.

I'm not jumping ship, just worried about his development a little. Would be nice to see him come out and throw a few strong outings down the stretch.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby jmudukes2008 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 am

bigwords wrote:

Pitchers:

Pelfrey -- overrated

Overrated? I didn't even know he was rated. But I'm interested to hear your reasoning.
July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 am

jmudukes2008 wrote:
bigwords wrote:

Pitchers:

Pelfrey -- overrated

Overrated? I didn't even know he was rated. But I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

That caught my eye too. Prior to last year he was a top prospect, then everyone forgot about him and he wasn't even drafted in most leagues. I would consider that being off the radar.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:52 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
jmudukes2008 wrote:
bigwords wrote:

Pitchers:

Pelfrey -- overrated

That caught my eye too. Prior to last year he was a top prospect, then everyone forgot about him and he wasn't even drafted in most leagues. I would consider that being off the radar.

Pelfrey was my last pick in a 20 team league. Unfortunately I cut him due to his slow start.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Yoda wrote:Pelfrey was my last pick in a 20 team league. Unfortunately I cut him due to his slow start.

I drafted him in our minor league draft last year. I had to make a decision to either promote him or drop him and I decided to hold onto him. I look smart now. :-D :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Yoda wrote:Pelfrey was my last pick in a 20 team league. Unfortunately I cut him due to his slow start.

I drafted him in our minor league draft last year. I had to make a decision to either promote him or drop him and I decided to hold onto him. I look smart now. :-D :-B

Nice I had a bunch of injury issues early and Pelfrey looked like dog crap so I cut bait right away. I look pretty stupid right now but thankfully my rotation is Webb, Cain, Lester, Volquez and Josh Johnson for that league.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Nice I had a bunch of injury issues early and Pelfrey looked like dog crap so I cut bait right away. I look pretty stupid right now but thankfully my rotation is Webb, Cain, Lester, Volquez and Josh Johnson for that league.

My other pitchers in that league are Webb, another SF pitcher ( ;-) ), and Zambrano. A few others who are either injured or I would rather not think about. :,-( !+)

I find it odd how quickly we fantasy BBers get off the boat on these guys like Pelfrey and Buchholz (not comparing the 2 talent-wise). I realize prospects can be hit and miss at times, but I think we regret our drops more often than not. I drafted Quentin in one of my leagues because I recall that his prospect ranking was similar to that of CYoung. When he started slow I cut bait. Only to regret it shortly after. Obviously.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers