Return to General Talk

What are you sick of hearing about/seeing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are you sick of hearing about/seeing

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:05 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:On that point, I'm not sick of many things, but I'm sick of the general perception that money is the root of all evil. It's such a rubbish thought. :-t

Whether the general perception is this or not, the actual command is that the love of money is the root of all evil. (1 Timothy 6:10) I would pretty much agree with the actual version.

Worded that way, yes, it's true that the love of money in and of itself is the root of all evil, but I think there's just this general notion that money is bad and that it can corrupt. I'd say that some people are better suited with how they live their lives with deeper pockets and some aren't. Money, and for that matter, wealth, is a wonderful thing just because while it can't promise happiness, it can make your life happier and easier to live. It's just that people who seek money as an end-all, be-all solution to things, wind up as the miserable lot. There still needs to be an intrinsic purpose for living besides wealth and for some reason or other, the miserable and greedy lot lose that purpose.

Snakes Gould wrote:you know i actually do agree with you art, as weird as it may be considering i love dogs and you seem to hate them.

most people seem to love their dogs and treat them well on the surface, but the reality is that most suck as dog owners. take the guy who yells at his dog to shut up when it starts barking. yeah that'll do it!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that most dog owners suck as overall caretakers of their dogs, but a good lot of them are irresponsible. Like I said, to me, walking your dog in public gathering places like shopping malls smacks of either irresponsibility or nonchalant disregard for others. My knock on those dog owners is that they think they've domesticated their animals well enough to blend in with the public but the fact is, no one can control their dogs completely, let alone anticipate how they'll react to other people or other dogs. The fact is they're still animals and though they don't deserve to be treated as such, they'll always have animal instincts that can only be tolerated by conditioning, not reasoning.

Tavish wrote:Right now I am really sick of Southern California. A week here makes me really look forward to getting back to the Midwest, which is really saying a lot since I'm not a big fan of there either.

Ah, go live with Mookie. :-B

I like living in Southern California but it takes a while to get adjusted to, like any place. I've lived here most of my life and while I enjoy it for the most part, I can understand why it can get sickening especially for visitors.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:05 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Metroid wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Green umbrella?

Not this time of year homeslice, Oregon summers are the best. ;-D

But yeah you do need an umbrella the other 9 and a half months. :-b

Ugh... Tennis and rain are not friends, and indoor courts are expensive.

Now that you mention it the only tennis courts I've seen in Eugene were at the University. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Tavish wrote:Right now I am really sick of Southern California. A week here makes me really look forward to getting back to the Midwest, which is really saying a lot since I'm not a big fan of there either.

That's funny, because you can reverse exactly what you just said and that's what I am doing.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 pm

JTWood wrote:

Every time I go somewhere with a western US climate, I'm always ready to get back to the Midwest ASAP. Generally, it's because I miss all the green. I can't stand rocky, arid terrain for too long at all.

I do miss the green a lot but I'd rather have the beach over anything that the Midwest has to offer.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby DK » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
DK wrote:I'm sick of hate in general.

Im with ya where is the love?

by the way i hate other guys that wear huge glasses, wierd hats, tight pants neon clothes.....anyone who you see and you can tell they live for attention.....ok start the love now :-D

LOL. You can call me a hippie or whatever you'd like but I generally find hate to be a wasted emotion.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Every time I go somewhere with a western US climate, I'm always ready to get back to the Midwest ASAP. Generally, it's because I miss all the green. I can't stand rocky, arid terrain for too long at all.

I do miss the green a lot but I'd rather have the beach over anything that the Midwest has to offer.

Bingo. My cousin and her boyfriend live out in Indy and whenever they visit me in the Summer, they have a huge fixation with the ocean. Understandable though.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:Every time I go somewhere with a western US climate, I'm always ready to get back to the Midwest ASAP. Generally, it's because I miss all the green. I can't stand rocky, arid terrain for too long at all.

Bingo. My cousin and her boyfriend live out in Indy and whenever they visit me in the Summer, they have a huge fixation with the ocean. Understandable though.

I'm completely the opposite. We hit almost every beach along the PCH from Newport up to Venice. The first day/beach was not bad, but after you get over the scenery and actually start looking at the other people there (moreso the locals than anything else) I felt like I de-evolved just being within 10 feet of them.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Tavish wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:I do miss the green a lot but I'd rather have the beach over anything that the Midwest has to offer.

I'm completely the opposite. We hit almost every beach along the PCH from Newport up to Venice. The first day/beach was not bad, but after you get over the scenery and actually start looking at the other people there (moreso the locals than anything else) I felt like I de-evolved just being within 10 feet of them.

Man, you're a more miserable lump than I am. I like the South Bay better (Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan) where I come from and live. They're more easygoing than your other beach cities like Venice, Santa Monica, or down in Huntington Beach. More frenetic, more touristy, more like what most folks think of L.A. Personally, I'm not what you'd classify as a "beach" person though. I very rarely swim in the ocean, surf, or walk/jog down the beach and I only head into a bar if it has good microbrews or the soccer game is on.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby wake » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm

DbacksRback wrote:by the way i hate other guys that wear huge glasses, wierd hats, tight pants neon clothes.....anyone who you see and you can tell they live for attention.....ok start the love now :-D

Reminds me of that Australian kid who was charged $20K for throwing a party.

wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:35 pm

8-o you might as well as painted a picture of what i said :-b
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner