Return to General Talk

What are you sick of hearing about/seeing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are you sick of hearing about/seeing

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 pm

great gretzky wrote:Sick of how (while funny) Family Guy seems to have eclipsed The Simpsons and South Park, even though I think both shows manage to be smart, literate AND work the gags into the narrative, rather than using asides.

Agreed. Never understood the widespread love of Family Guy. It's ok, but it has no plot and to be honest, it's not very funny. South Park is funnier, and it's episodes have plots for you to follow. The simpsons I like, but it's more of a show for younger kids and lately it's gone massivly donehill. I don't really like the Simpsons and Family Guy mainly because I hate the borderline retarded father characters in both. I don't know, but the complete lack of intelligence in both characters translates in lack of depth for the character as well.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

the thing is, homer is kept underwraps because of bart, lisa and the myriad characters of springfield. marge is never funny. homer is an idiot. but they keep his love of his family a constant (like al bundy on married with children -- the show was an abomination for "family values" but the bundy's ultimately loved each other and al would step up when need be). Family guy seems an excuse to just throw in a bunch of stuff. The South Park where cartman rebelled against family guy, and a "fake" bart simpson joined him was telling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Family Guy is indeed funny. But I think the other shows are much better about being smart, while being funny to "blue collar" folk as well. I think South Park is a masterpiece of satire, while Simpsons is without peer about being funny to all senses of humor: slapstick: homer, education: lisa, regular humor, offbeat: bart, straightman: marge.

Family Guy is quality, the jokes are very good, it just seems less put together than the other two. When you factor in the turnaround time, I think SP is the best of the bunch. I don't get how parker and stone can turn episodes around like they can. Imaginationland is legendary.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:38 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
great gretzky wrote:Sick of how (while funny) Family Guy seems to have eclipsed The Simpsons and South Park, even though I think both shows manage to be smart, literate AND work the gags into the narrative, rather than using asides.

Agreed. Never understood the widespread love of Family Guy. It's ok, but it has no plot and to be honest, it's not very funny. South Park is funnier, and it's episodes have plots for you to follow. The simpsons I like, but it's more of a show for younger kids and lately it's gone massivly donehill. I don't really like the Simpsons and Family Guy mainly because I hate the borderline retarded father characters in both. I don't know, but the complete lack of intelligence in both characters translates in lack of depth for the character as well.

I really like Family Guy. Simpson's seems a little too boring these days and South Park is kind of too vulgar for my taste.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:43 pm

But back on topic, something that really annoys me:

jsphlly wrote:Can I join the league where Broxton, Kobayashi and Marte are all available?

People belittling others for no reason. Sorry not everyone plays in the great leagues you are. Most everyone starts out in half-dead Yahoo pubs. :-°
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby great gretzky » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm

simpsons now versus family guy now is a blowout in favor of family guy. That being said, holistically, I don't think a 20 year show (I was in grade school when my parents made me watch the christmas special saying "you will love this) compares. On balance though, simpsons blows away south park, family guy, beavis and butthead, ren and stimpy, all of it. it blows away most live action sitcoms.

As far as yahoo public leagues, I don't want to slam them. Its great sport and practice. I don't win all of them, and I think I am a good (but not great) fantasy player. It's almost necessary if you want to be a cafe stud (I don't claim to be btw). If you play in leagues of experts, somtimes conventional wisdom has a drafting effect that makes is subject towards the same kind of idiocy (I think it is a different type of idiocy btw) that we rail against. I think trying your hand against varying types of opponents is necessary to become good -- and playing in yahoo pubs is part of a player's "tempering" as it were.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:15 pm

I'm sick of Will Ferrel and Adam Sandler.

I'm sick of the one chick who I know, shes cute, but when she talks to me all she does is complain about stuff or talks about people who she thinks aren't attractive. Seriously, learn to carry a conversation without me wanting to stab myself in the face the entire time.

I'm sick of people who talk about sports like they are experts when they aren't.

I'm sick of people who are experts at sports and look down at people who aren't.

I'm sick of no good candidates for President. Seriously.

I'm sick of fat girls who think they are cool.

I'm sick of the whole gangsta culture.

I'm sick from drinking last night.

And lastly, I'm sick of Carlos Mencia and people who think he's funny.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)

Postby great gretzky » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:22 pm

wow. classic. you encapsulated everything I stand for.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:40 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:And lastly, I'm sick of Carlos Mencia and people who think he's funny.

I've yet to meet somebody that thinks he, or his show, is funny.
I'm curious to know why/how his show is still on the air.
Last edited by Old_Style on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:41 pm

The Simpsons is a great show in the grand scheme of things but since the turn of the decade, you find few standout episodes where you can actually say they're genuinely hilarious without having to resort to hackneyed cliche antics. The show sometimes seems short on ideas and tries to tailor the show to all kinds of audiences. I think the same thing is happening to Family Guy while keeping a share of its irreverence and running gags to imprint some memorable impressions on new fans. South Park is just fantastic satire for all of the full-blown irreverence it displays but in the end, is not quite as balanced as The Simpsons is in the backdrop of TV history, although I'd say South Park is currently the best of the 3 shows and has been for a while.

hybrid wrote:I'm sick of the society we live in period. The misinformation, the lying/deceit, & the hatred. Fact is though this has pretty much always been around, so maybe I should rephrase and say I'm sick of humans in general. For a species with the ability to feel and create so much, we ruin things over and over again.

I'd say it's "normal", normal in the sense that the human condition confines us in some way. Throughout the course of human history, societies have been flawed but for different reasons as the generations and centuries wore on. Just because we can express ourselves differently and in diverse ways from other species doesn't make us any better than animals. The difference is that we acknowledge that there can be a higher purpose and that we can live by that.

curious_george_43545 wrote:I'm sick of Will Ferrel and Adam Sandler.

I'll agree, but comedy can be really subjective than most think. Personally, I'm not crazy about Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, but maybe I'm missing something that some don't.

curious_george_43545 wrote:I'm sick of no good candidates for President. Seriously.

I'll agree somewhat. I'm not a fan of democracy but it's the system that's shown to be the best at upholding human rights and freedoms for all the administrative gridlock it brings. Government is a necessary evil after all.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:51 am

The Artful Dodger wrote: I'd say South Park is currently the best of the 3 shows and has been for a while.

I concur ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk