Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Where do I go from here? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where do I go from here? WHIR

Postby slink » Sat May 31, 2008 1:02 pm

After going the first 1/3 of the season with making very few moves, I have made a bunch in the past week, including trading Kazmir/Wood for Dunn/Phillips and dropping Swisher for Dempster. Now, my question is, where do I go from here?

Here is my current roster.

One-year, 12 team, Roto League - 32 moves remaining
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
C: Russell Martin
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Brandon Phillips
3B: Garrett Atkins
SS: Stephen Drew
OF: Corey Hart
OF: BJ Upton
OF: Carlos Quentin
Utility: Adam Dunn
Bench: Nick Markakis
Bench: Orlando Cabrera
Bench: Michael Bourne

W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
SP: Ryan Dempster
SP: Daisuke Matsuzaka
RP: Fransisco Rodriquez
RP: Trevor Hoffman
P: John Smoltz
P: Salomon Torres
P: Jon Rauch
Bench: Tim Hudson
Bench: AJ Burnett
Bench: Chien-Ming Wang

I feel like I have a logjam in the outfield and at 2B. Who should I look to move and what should I try to get in return?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to leave a link to any of your questions and I'll try to help you out (specifically I'm an expert on the Jays players/prospects).
slink
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where do I go from here? WHIR

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm not very high on Phillips, so if you can trade Phillips for a high tier Starting Pitcher like Peavy then that would help your team. It is almost the ASB then Markakis starts to heat up and will need an open OF spot. If you do this trade, put upton at 2B.

rate my team?
viewtopic.php?t=349347
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 31, 2008 2:05 pm

GOGOGADGETFLOW wrote:I'm not very high on Phillips, so if you can trade Phillips for a high tier Starting Pitcher like Peavy then that would help your team. It is almost the ASB then Markakis starts to heat up and will need an open OF spot. If you do this trade, put upton at 2B.

rate my team?
viewtopic.php?t=349347

Agree on Markakis, the guy dominates after the ASB, and his value's down now, so hold on to him. I'd just shop around. Quentin, Upton, and Phillips are players who have great value right now (who you can spare). I'd move one for a top-rank pitcher. Look to find the guy with the weakest 2b or of situation (pref someone who's struggling in the overall rankings, too), then look at their staffs. Start high -- not many top pitchers are on fire, now, so you could get a steal. Bedard, Peavy are possible. Santana and Webb, less likely, but not impossible (Santana hasn't hit his second-half groove yet, Webb has had a couple rough starts in a row). If that doesn't work, work your way down the list of starters while offering Quentin as bait. Harang is a guy I've been targeting lately, but you could also look at Hamels, Beckett...maybe Lincecum, though he's more risky b/c of the run support.

If you have a dl spot, move DiceK there and pick up a pitcher (anyone good -- if there's a quality starter, go that way, otherwise grab a good middle innings guy to shore up k, era, and whip). Overall, your lineup looks fantastic, it's only your pitching (particularly your starters) that need some work.

If there are a lot of pitchers you like on the ww, I don't think you'll miss Orlando Cabrera all that much, so he's a possible drop.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby GOGOGADGETFLOW » Sat May 31, 2008 8:22 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
GOGOGADGETFLOW wrote:I'm not very high on Phillips, so if you can trade Phillips for a high tier Starting Pitcher like Peavy then that would help your team. It is almost the ASB then Markakis starts to heat up and will need an open OF spot. If you do this trade, put upton at 2B.

rate my team?
viewtopic.php?t=349347

Agree on Markakis, the guy dominates after the ASB, and his value's down now, so hold on to him. I'd just shop around. Quentin, Upton, and Phillips are players who have great value right now (who you can spare). I'd move one for a top-rank pitcher. Look to find the guy with the weakest 2b or of situation (pref someone who's struggling in the overall rankings, too), then look at their staffs. Start high -- not many top pitchers are on fire, now, so you could get a steal. Bedard, Peavy are possible. Santana and Webb, less likely, but not impossible (Santana hasn't hit his second-half groove yet, Webb has had a couple rough starts in a row). If that doesn't work, work your way down the list of starters while offering Quentin as bait. Harang is a guy I've been targeting lately, but you could also look at Hamels, Beckett...maybe Lincecum, though he's more risky b/c of the run support.

If you have a dl spot, move DiceK there and pick up a pitcher (anyone good -- if there's a quality starter, go that way, otherwise grab a good middle innings guy to shore up k, era, and whip). Overall, your lineup looks fantastic, it's only your pitching (particularly your starters) that need some work.

If there are a lot of pitchers you like on the ww, I don't think you'll miss Orlando Cabrera all that much, so he's a possible drop.

Well put, we think alike :-)
GOGOGADGETFLOW
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Agree with first two posters. Also, I'd dump Bourne, add another SP or RP. Just hit the waivers list, but you have a few too many bench batters for my liking.

help on mine: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=349326
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby CrawfordFan13 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:50 am

I think your team is pretty solid, I just don't agree 100% with the way you have people benched and who's starting. I for one, would bench Corey Hart (think he's a fluke) and start Markakis, or try to trade one of them. I like all of the closers you have but maybe you have 1-2 too many, I would bench Rauch or Torres for Wang.

Maybe try to package one of your better closers (Hoffman/Smoltz) with Hart, and get a new 2B or 3B. Then throw one of your bench starters into your starting role and then put Markakis with Hart. I do like your team though, it should be a contender all year.

Thanks for the help on my team,
Jimmy
CrawfordFan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team