Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sinker Ball pitchers?????????????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sinker Ball pitchers?????????????

Postby Matthias » Tue May 20, 2008 1:27 pm

I know Meredith throws a sinker and apparently so does Badenhop (bad name for such a pitcher), not sure about these other guys, but looking at Ground Outs / Fly Outs ratios....
Joe Smith (RP, Mets): 4.0 (17 2/3 innings)
Cla Meredith (RP, Padres): 3.7 (21 2/3 innings)
Jamey Wright (RP*, Rangers): 2.9 (26 innings)
Kevin Hart (RP*, Cubs): 3.4 (16 innings)
Sean Green (RP, Mariners): 3.3 (24 innings)
Burke Badenhop (SP, Marlins): 2.4 (34 2/3 innings)

* Jamey Wright and Kevin Hart were starters, but are now long-relief. Don't know if they'll be shifted back at any point. Hart is back in AAA right now.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Relentless » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

BrewCrew28 wrote:A sinker is just a 2-seam fastball, lots of pitchers has it....they just don't use it as extensively as a Webb, Wang, Carmona, Lowe.....

Guys like Halladay, Burnett, Felix, Hudson, Westbrook, Jimenez, Cook, Batista......all have good sinker.

I believe Kevin Brown was one of the all time great with the power sinker.

What!? A 2-seam fastball is a way different type of pitch... A 2-seamer cuts southwest from a pitcher's perspective, and a sinker goes straight down with more movement than any fastball.

This is like saying that a circle change is the same as a 2-seamer in which it's not (only similarity is the cut).
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rudeboy21 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Matthias wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:Well, yeah, you mentioned, and then Matthias mentioned him for a second time. So, he had already been mentioned, and we'll add him to the list, but the last thing this thread needs is alot of repetition, ya' know?

Whatever. I mentioned him again to give Yoda credit; where I pointed out people mentioning someone twice it wasn't because it was repetitive, it was because it was preceded with a, "OMG... I can't believe <Player X> hasn't been mentioned yet." And actually, yah, they were. But that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.
shasty mcnasty wrote:The list we should really be making is the one of sinkerball pitchers that also strike out alot of guys...that list would be much more useful for fantasy purposes...that is, if there is such a thing as a high-K, sinkerballer list. Finding a high-K, Sinkerball pitcher might be akin to finding a guy who hit 3 homeruns in the same game. :-°

Yah; if these mythical creatures exist. Wang seems to have had a really high K-rate this year, which I was surprised at since I didn't think sinkerballers really got K's that often. The only one I watched with any regularity was D. Lowe when he was with the Sox and he wanted to be a K guy and it always messed him up. He'd get to a 2-2 count on guys and then try for an "out" pitch, going away from the sinker, and that's always when he would get hammered.

I like this list because high K guys always get attention even if they're ultimately a drag on your team in other aspects (see, at this point in this season, Cueto). And, similar to a lot of people I'm sure, when I check the WW one of my sorts is K's, either in the last week or two weeks or the season. So this is a good way to get some guys who might be more under the radar but deserve to be rostered.

They're not starters, but apparently Peter Moylan and Scott Downs (really, what an appropriate name) have great sinkers.

exactly. I couldn't of said it any better. Thanks for all who has helped with this list.
rudeboy21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rudeboy21 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 pm

notable prospect that have been mentioned. They may develop in the next couple of years. J. Masterson starts this week too

Chris Volstad
J. Masterson
A. Miller
rudeboy21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dorje3 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Not a sinkerball pitcher, but I think you mentioned that you were looking for high% GB pitchers, in which case keep your eye on Daniel Cabrera. Not saying you should start him just yet, but the dude's got a 57% GB rate this year, which is niiiiice.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm

No one mentioned Webb yet? ZOMG
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby dorje3 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Yoda wrote:No one mentioned Webb yet? ZOMG

Dude, c'mon, he was mentioned on the first post. Get with the program.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue May 20, 2008 6:56 pm

dorje3 wrote:

Really. lol Yoda, we're trying to list the sinkerballers that aren't already listed. Like Garland.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -17)
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby dorje3 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:10 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:
dorje3 wrote:

Really. lol Yoda, we're trying to list the sinkerballers that aren't already listed. Like Garland.

And nobody's mentioned Carmona yet????
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers