Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sinker Ball pitchers?????????????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sinker Ball pitchers?????????????

Postby Yoda » Tue May 20, 2008 12:02 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:
Matthias wrote:Andrew Miller is a great name for that list. Nice one, Yoda.

Andrew Miller was already mentioned, as were others like Carmona, Wang, Webb, etc. We're trying to make a list of all those who haven't been mentioned, so let's keep things straight here. I'll start the list again with one that may not have been mentioned:

Jon Garland.

NO he wasn't at least not until I mentioned him. Then again, who cares if someone already did? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Matthias wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:Brandon Webb is obviously like the best sinkerball pitcher in the majors...can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet. Also, i'm pretty sure Wang has been really successful with his sinker. Garland throws a sinker as well, though not as effectively as either of the aforementioned.

J35J wrote:I can't believe Brandon Webb hasn't been mentioned yet.....how could you miss the best one? :-o

Because he wasn't.
rudeboy21 wrote:I was trying to compile a list of sinker ball pitchers in MLB and any prospects in the minors. Please help me compile this list. This who I came up with so far that I believe has a above average sinker ball.

F. Carmona
D. Lowe
S. Hill
J. Peavy
B. Webb
A. Cook

Also, Wang and Masterson were mentioned back on page 1.

WOOOOOOOSH! :-b

I heard derek lowe has a good sinker too, and on top of that he hit 3 hrs in one game...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue May 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
Matthias wrote:Andrew Miller is a great name for that list. Nice one, Yoda.

Andrew Miller was already mentioned, as were others like Carmona, Wang, Webb, etc. We're trying to make a list of all those who haven't been mentioned, so let's keep things straight here. I'll start the list again with one that may not have been mentioned:

Jon Garland.

NO he wasn't at least not until I mentioned him. Then again, who cares if someone already did? :-?

Well, yeah, you mentioned, and then Matthias mentioned him for a second time. So, he had already been mentioned, and we'll add him to the list, but the last thing this thread needs is alot of repetition, ya' know?
The list we should really be making is the one of sinkerball pitchers that also strike out alot of guys...that list would be much more useful for fantasy purposes...that is, if there is such a thing as a high-K, sinkerballer list. Finding a high-K, Sinkerball pitcher might be akin to finding a guy who hit 3 homeruns in the same game. :-°
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -17)
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby mtxdevil » Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Wang? :-?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby BrewCrew28 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 pm

A sinker is just a 2-seam fastball, lots of pitchers has it....they just don't use it as extensively as a Webb, Wang, Carmona, Lowe.....

Guys like Halladay, Burnett, Felix, Hudson, Westbrook, Jimenez, Cook, Batista......all have good sinker.

I believe Kevin Brown was one of the all time great with the power sinker.
BrewCrew28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:Well, yeah, you mentioned, and then Matthias mentioned him for a second time. So, he had already been mentioned, and we'll add him to the list, but the last thing this thread needs is alot of repetition, ya' know?

Whatever. I mentioned him again to give Yoda credit; where I pointed out people mentioning someone twice it wasn't because it was repetitive, it was because it was preceded with a, "OMG... I can't believe <Player X> hasn't been mentioned yet." And actually, yah, they were. But that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.
shasty mcnasty wrote:The list we should really be making is the one of sinkerball pitchers that also strike out alot of guys...that list would be much more useful for fantasy purposes...that is, if there is such a thing as a high-K, sinkerballer list. Finding a high-K, Sinkerball pitcher might be akin to finding a guy who hit 3 homeruns in the same game. :-°

Yah; if these mythical creatures exist. Wang seems to have had a really high K-rate this year, which I was surprised at since I didn't think sinkerballers really got K's that often. The only one I watched with any regularity was D. Lowe when he was with the Sox and he wanted to be a K guy and it always messed him up. He'd get to a 2-2 count on guys and then try for an "out" pitch, going away from the sinker, and that's always when he would get hammered.

I like this list because high K guys always get attention even if they're ultimately a drag on your team in other aspects (see, at this point in this season, Cueto). And, similar to a lot of people I'm sure, when I check the WW one of my sorts is K's, either in the last week or two weeks or the season. So this is a good way to get some guys who might be more under the radar but deserve to be rostered.

They're not starters, but apparently Peter Moylan and Scott Downs (really, what an appropriate name) have great sinkers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Matthias » Tue May 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Also, it was only because of this thread that I took a look at Aaron Cook... I had no idea he was having this good of a season and he went for $1 in my league.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Giambis » Tue May 20, 2008 12:45 pm

LMAO at this thread's failure to mention Carmona.

Though, someone mentioned Shaun Marcum. While he may throw a sinkerball, that's not who comes to mind when I think of sinkerballers. He's a flyball pitcher.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:57 pm

i cant believe noones mentioned Nate McLouth... hes got the nastiest Sinker Ball of them all :-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel