Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My first draft of the season....Unprepared...Opinions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first draft of the season....Unprepared...Opinions?

Postby boston matt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:15 pm

Yahoo league...warm up draft but will also stick with the team through the season because I hate it when people abandon teams....

5x5 Mixed...etc...standard yahoo public league rules:

C M. LeCroy (Min - C,1B,DH)
1B C. Delgado (Tor - 1B)
2B M. Giles (Atl - 2B)
3B M. Lowell (Fla - 3B)
SS R. Furcal (Atl - SS)
OF B. Abreu (Phi - RF)
OF P. Nevin (SD - 1B,RF)
OF J. Gibbons (Bal - RF)
Util D. Young (Det - 3B,LF,DH)
BN S. Stewart (Min - LF)
BN P. Burrell (Phi - LF)

SP C. Schilling (Bos - SP)
SP T. Hudson (Oak - SP)
RP J. Borowski (ChC - RP)
RP A. Benitez (Fla - RP)
P J. Beckett (Fla - SP)
P C. Zambrano (ChC - SP)
P J. Lieber (NYY - SP)
BN B. Penny (Fla - SP)
BN J. Lackey (Ana - SP)
BN A. Burnett (Fla - SP)

I like my starters for sure....ESPECIALLY if Lieber and maybe Burnett contribute....but for now Schilling/Hudson/Beckett/Zambrano will keep my head above water just fine......My closers need some work but I wanted to get a couple guys cheap (late) and then watch the wire for the inevitable emergence of a solid guy.

My Outfield is pretty weak...not horrible, but weak....I like the flexibility that Nevin and D.Young give me (help at the corners)...I like most of my infield....

POWER: I feel like I'll probably have to pick up another 30+ HR guy but if Delgado can repeat, I've got a host of 20+ HR guys (7 to be exact) that should keep my head above water...ESPECIALLY if Burrell comes back stronger than last year.

SPEED: Furcal/Abreu will help me stay out of the cellar but I might look at grabbing Dave Roberts to shore me up here....

AVG: Solid....looks like a team avg around .290....most are between .280-.310...should be fine

STRIKEOUTS: I really like where I stand here....Schilling/Beckett/Zambrano should do I can expect 150 or so out of Hudson and Lackey...and IF IF IF Burnett comes back and does okay (unlikely but worth a bench spot till May-June to see...last round grab.

ERA/WHIP: Lackey could be a killer here...he might get moved if he comes out hot...not sure though.....Chilling/Hudson/Beckett might offset him....

Opinions please?
boston matt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pens86 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:20 pm

Phil Nevin was hurt last year and outfield positions are where some of the big numbers producers are. If you could maybe trade a pitcher or two for a big time player like Preston Wilson I think you would be a little better off. Just in my opinion. But great job for being unprepared, and your first time.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:39 pm

I like your team. Both hitting and pitching are fairly solid. You are lacking some power but that is the worst thing I see.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:20 pm

I would look for another stud type player, I don't have much faith in Delgado.

Looks balanced all the way around though. Please help with mine (sig).
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team