Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hafner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hafner

Postby acon44 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:19 pm

A player who has their career year at 29, should not have his bat speed NATURALLY decrease to that point at age 31, that is the whole problem. Especially when there are no injuries of significant note. If this was 3 or 4 years ago that's fine, but not less then 1.5 years later.
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm not going to accuse the guy of doing roids. To be fair, he has had a lot of injuries in the last few seasons that could be related to the diminishing skills.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm not going to accuse the guy of doing roids. To be fair, he has had a lot of injuries in the last few seasons that could be related to the diminishing skills.

lol, "this post made me laugh"
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 3:35 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm not going to accuse the guy of doing roids. To be fair, he has had a lot of injuries in the last few seasons that could be related to the diminishing skills.

Yeah I know it's more fun to go around accusing every player who drops off of doing roids but Hafner has had multiple injury issues over the years. Whether you want to believe it or not, injuries actually do diminish skills especially in players who are on the wrong side of 30.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yeah I know it's more fun to go around accusing every player who drops off of doing roids but Hafner has had multiple injury issues over the years. Whether you want to believe it or not, injuries actually do diminish skills especially in players who are on the wrong side of 30.

If he were injured to the point where it's killing his production, like it has been, wouldn't they put him on the DL to let him officially heal? And shouldn't he be doing better after an offseason of rest?

There are just too many indicators to ignore. It's fairly obvious what happened.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't want to jump to judgment and accuse him of using steroids, but I don't know what to think anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if any player in baseball is caught using steroids at this point.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 4:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Yeah I know it's more fun to go around accusing every player who drops off of doing roids but Hafner has had multiple injury issues over the years. Whether you want to believe it or not, injuries actually do diminish skills especially in players who are on the wrong side of 30.

If he were injured to the point where it's killing his production, like it has been, wouldn't they put him on the DL to let him officially heal? And shouldn't he be doing better after an offseason of rest?

There are just too many indicators to ignore. It's fairly obvious what happened.

You could be right that he was on roids.

However, some players drop off fast naturally and some players drop off fast as a result of being too injury prone. Hafner could be a case of all of these things plus roids.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Tue May 06, 2008 4:42 pm

The last injury Pronk had was In '06 when he took a 90 mph in the face in a chi sox game and he came back 2-3 weeks later and was fine the rest of the year, so I am inclined to say it isnt from injuries, he was injury free last year> I would like to throw this out there as a posibility, have you noticed how he figits after every pitch the man has some strange rituals lately that werent there before, maybe just maybe his head aint right( overtthinking)
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Yanks Ruined It wrote:The last injury Pronk had was In '06 when he took a 90 mph in the face in a chi sox game and he came back 2-3 weeks later and was fine the rest of the year, so I am inclined to say it isnt from injuries, he was injury free last year> I would like to throw this out there as a posibility, have you noticed how he figits after every pitch the man has some strange rituals lately that werent there before, maybe just maybe his head aint right( overtthinking)

He was coming off a broken wrist and also had some elbow problems as well as a knee injury in 07.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chipper » Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm

The Cow wrote:Hafner I shudder to say has warning track power now, he hits a ball good and one would expect it to be out, but it is just a fly out.

Yea that's what I was noticing too. He hits the ball on the srcrews and it looks good coming off his bat.....and then nothing. He used to hit balls that would carry half way up the stands, I haven't seen him hit even a single ball like that in over a year.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers