Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hafner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hafner

Postby yossarian » Fri May 02, 2008 2:33 pm

The thing about Pronk is, even though he was pretty bad last year, he STILL had a 100 RBIs and 24 HRs. What's bouncing back from that? Even if he doesn't go back to the stud once was, would a bounce back be 30 HRs, 115 RBIs? That's not that bad of a line. Certainly not kick him to the curb, drop him on the waiver wire bad.

As mentioned above, almost the whole Indians O is struggling. Hopefully they'll get better as it warms up and hopefully last night was the beginning of something productive for the big ass.

That or he'll go 0-4 tonight.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Fri May 02, 2008 9:34 pm

So Pronk has disappointed the past year and a half, and now he's a former steroid user?? :-? Come on. Did they not test for steroids in 06??

I think he's going to be better than he's been so far this year, but he's probably not going to hit like he did in 05 and 06. I think the shift has a lot to do with it, as is the way he's pitched. He's still taking walks, he walked 102 times last year. He's striking out a little more, and he's not driving the ball as much. He's hitting more balls on the ground. He's going to be 31 this year, so that isn't helping his cause either. I'd say he won't hit 30 HR's, but 25 and 100 is feasible, and likely IMO.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Field » Sat May 03, 2008 11:41 am

He looks to be the same hitter as last year, so I'd expect similar production which is why I didn't keep him in my 6 player keeper league. He's getting buried with the inside fast ball which is causing him to hit grounders into the shift. His bat speed looks a good bit slower as well. If you look back to some of his better seasons, it almost looked like he was swinging a tooth pick through the zone, which just isn't the case anymore. Sell if you can.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm glad the guy in front of me in one of my leagues took Hafner much to my chagrin at the time and had to settle for Brandon Webb instead. :-°

I thought much of Hafner's struggles were due in part to that freak wrist injury he suffered in late '06 and thus, the decline in LD%. By the same token, I wasn't too bullish on him surpassing 30 HR, 100 RBI, and .270-280 BA either. Based off all the Indians games I could catch last year, seemed to me he was pulling a lot of grounders, justifying the low LD%. Because Hafner didn't add much marginal upside to reclaim late '05-06 form, in retrospect, I probably would've let him slide and take Derrek Lee. Thankfully, Hafner is in none of my leagues this year, but I can commiserate having had him last year aboard one of my championship teams.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Sat May 03, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote="pangbones"]So Pronk has disappointed the past year and a half, and now he's a former steroid user?? :-? Come on. Did they not test for steroids in 06??

Sure they tested back then, but the real push in the testing did come about in 07 when all hell broke loose because of the friggin book by that human growth WHOREmoaner Canseco. Before last year it was rare to get called in and last year I guess some tested 6 and 7 times, Pronk isnt the only one who took a decline just not as noticealbe
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby silverZ » Sun May 04, 2008 1:41 am

I just unloaded him and F.Lopez for Roberts. Drafted him hoping for some type of a bunch back but now I dont see it happening. I've seen 5 or 6 of his at bats and he's either missed fast balls right down the pipe while ahead in the count or fell behind early and k'd/ground out to 2nd. Couldn't be happier to get rid of him. :-°
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 48)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun May 04, 2008 2:06 am

silverZ wrote:I just unloaded him and F.Lopez for Roberts. Drafted him hoping for some type of a bunch back but now I dont see it happening. I've seen 5 or 6 of his at bats and he's either missed fast balls right down the pipe while ahead in the count or fell behind early and k'd/ground out to 2nd. Couldn't be happier to get rid of him. :-°

not a bad deal
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby stumpak » Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 am

silverZ wrote:I just unloaded him and F.Lopez for Roberts. Drafted him hoping for some type of a bunch back but now I dont see it happening. I've seen 5 or 6 of his at bats and he's either missed fast balls right down the pipe while ahead in the count or fell behind early and k'd/ground out to 2nd. Couldn't be happier to get rid of him. :-°

Great deal.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby GunSlinger51 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 am

I was hoping for a better start but its only one month and some change, but hopefully he turns it around soon so I could reinsert him into my every day lineup.
C-C.Ianetta
1B A. Pujols
2B D. Pedroia
SS M. Tejada
3B C. Jones
LF C. Quentin
CF C. Granderson
RF J. Elsbury
Bench-ARod, C.Delgado, H.Pence, A. Jones, M.Derosa, A. Ethier, J.Mauer.
GunSlinger51
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acon44 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:44 am

I had a lot of faith in this guy to at least bounce back to respectable levels also. I do play in a BB and OPS league which does boost his value pretty significantly, but am thinking of dealing him also.

Right now I offered Hafner, Ankiel, and Salty for Loney, Ellsbury, and Rauch, what do you guys think of that deal?
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers