Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Can you win by punting HRs and RBI?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can you win by punting HRs and RBI?

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 pm

I read an article on THT about a theoretical strategy: punt rbi and HR, draft high avg players that steal bags (and thus score runs as gravy) and draft dominating pitching. So far I've been doing alright, but my question is this: can this team constantly win all 5 pitching categories and 2-3 hitting ones? Tell me what you think, and bear in mind when you're looking at my offense that I'm completely conceding RBI and HR.

C: Kenji Johjima
1B: Billy Butler
2B: Aaron Hill
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Michael Young
OF: Bobby Abreu
OF: Jacoby Ellsbury
OF: Lastings Milledge
UTL: James Loney
DL: Shane Victorino

Yeah, yeah, I know...but check out this pitching:
SP: Johan Santana
SP: Josh Beckett
SP: CC Sabathia
SP: Cole Hamels
SP: Chien-Ming Wang
SP: Johnny Cueto
SP: Chad Billingsley
SP: Pedro Martinez
RP: Jonathan Papelbon
RP: Bobby Jenks
RP: Joakim Soria
RP: Rafael Betancourt

What do you think?
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can you win by punting HRs and RBI?

Postby still-hate-francisco-cabrera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:52 pm

First think I notice is that you are not a lock to win saves. I've seen plenty of teams in the leagues I'm in with comparable closers.

The second thing that I notice is that you don't really have any pure base stealers (Reyes, crawford, etc...). Your outfield has some guys that have decent speed, but they just look good enough to make you competitive in SB. I certainly don't think you'll dominate that category with what you have.
still-hate-francisco-cabrera
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -8)

Re: Can you win by punting HRs and RBI?

Postby tah161 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:29 pm

still-hate-francisco-cabrera wrote:First think I notice is that you are not a lock to win saves. I've seen plenty of teams in the leagues I'm in with comparable closers.

The second thing that I notice is that you don't really have any pure base stealers (Reyes, crawford, etc...). Your outfield has some guys that have decent speed, but they just look good enough to make you competitive in SB. I certainly don't think you'll dominate that category with what you have.

I agree. you have more then enough starting pitching. You should probably trade a couple of them for a pure speed guy, and/or another closer.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team