Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Cabrera

Postby Collateral » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:05 pm

the guy has eligibility at LF and 3B in Yahoo...

How early is too early to draft him in a 10team league? I'd love to get him after the 10th Round (even though he's #83 on ESPN's list in average drafts) simply because he's not a big-name kinda guy and I'm hoping he'll slip through the cracks.

I think he can be a top10 3B this year. Any thoughts?
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:23 pm

I think he'll likely be gone by the 10th Round. You might have to grab him 6-8th if you really want him... IMO

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:43 pm

I think he will be gone by the 10th as well....but in season leagues...I am not sure I would draft him much earlier....but in a keeper...I would draft him a little early just to be able to hang on to... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:46 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:I think he will be gone by the 10th as well....but in season leagues...I am not sure I would draft him much earlier....but in a keeper...I would draft him a little early just to be able to hang on to... :-)

I agree with this. He will be very good I just am not sold on him for this year.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby reelbiggecko » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:41 pm

I traded for him in my keeper league, because this is the last time you'll get him cheap. In a season league though, I wouldn't take him very early. He will not be among the cream of the crop this year, but certainly will be, barring injury, in 2-3 years.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:46 pm

The problem with Cabrera in a keeper league, is that this is the last season that he will be eligible at 3B. He will be playing RF this season, and will loose his 3B eligibility for next year. Next year he will qualify at OF, and will just be an average fantasy player.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beezer » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:01 pm

I think Cabrera is a stud. Eligible at 3B and OF. World Series experience is just gonna make him better. Don't forget he hit cleanup for the Marlins in the Series. Tell me Jack McKeon doesn't know something. I can see .290 25 HR 90 RBI this year. Can you say the next "Pujols?"
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby reelbiggecko » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:04 pm

Mr.Cocky! wrote:The problem with Cabrera in a keeper league, is that this is the last season that he will be eligible at 3B. He will be playing RF this season, and will loose his 3B eligibility for next year. Next year he will qualify at OF, and will just be an average fantasy player.

Your logic is all wrong. First of all, Cabrera's a natural 3B, so if Lowell goes down again, even for a couple weeks, Cabrera will fill in and get his eligibility back. Even if that doesn't happen, an AVERAGE fantasy player? Are you kidding me? This guy RIPPED up AA at age TWENTY (with better stats than Pujols at the same age, at the same level).

I'm not saying he's going to be Albert Pujols (although a good portion of MLB acouts think he will be), but he will CERTAINLY be at the very least (barring injury) an upper-tier outfielder with loads of pop in the coming years.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:05 pm

I can say the next Hildago.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers