Return to Baseball Leftovers

What pick do you hope for?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What pick do you hope for?

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:03 pm

......and why? Just like the title says, in a normal 12 team roto or head to head league, what pick do you hope for in a live draft and why!? Thanks, Josh
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ncstate04 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:09 pm

Im assuming its a serpentine draft, so i usually hope for a middle pick, say 5th or 6th....thats if i dont get the number 1 or 2 pick. I dont like going for long stretches without making a pick, say if youre the last pick, you get 12 and 13, but then cant go again until 30-something.
ncstate04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sigtaulefty » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:12 pm

If I'm in a 10 team league, I'd love to be #4. In a 12, maybe around 4-6.

This is my first season in a 20 teamer, I don't know where the random drafter will put me, I just hope it's around 7-12 or I'll fall asleep after my picks.
"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby jbuk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:12 pm

This year, 1 & 2 are obviously good. Apart from that, I'd say 6-8 would be pretty good.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby fezzik » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:16 pm

I typically like to go 2nd, 3rd, 10th, or 11th...that way I get two pretty close picks back to back. I also get to see what the other manager(s) that picked after me already have, so I can adjust my pick accordingly. i.e. I'm thinking about taking Lowell or Colon in round 6 with my 70th pick...I also have the 75th pick and notice that the two guys who pick in between those picks have Rolen and Chavez at 3rd respectively...plus they're short on SP's...then I take Colon and gamble that the other guys won't take a second 3rd baseman for trade bait.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 pm

This year I will be hopeing for middle of the round picks. I will still be able to get the person in the 1st round I want and get another solid player on the way back down. Also if there are any runs I want to be a part of I will have a less likely chance of missing out on them.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 pm

There are advatages and disadvantages drafting either way....Personally, I generally like drafting in the middle somewhere...I don't like waiting long for picks to come around.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:52 pm

To me, A-Rod gives you a clear advantage over any other player. So, I'd take the #1 pick if I could choose.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:55 pm

I hate the Yankees, but I have to agree if I could I would take A-Rod so I would want number one pick
Trainer of Dolphins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:57 pm

This year I'd like 1-3 so I can get Arod/Pujols/Soriano. If not that, than anywhere near the end of the 1st round where I can get two elite outfielders or one outfielder and a stud pitcher.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers