Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Autodraft Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Autodraft Strategies

Postby suptownbball34 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:37 pm

Hey what are your guys' autodraft strategies?
"... I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass."
- Pedro Martinez

Go Superior Spartans!
suptownbball34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:15 pm

I play for money and go to a real site like TQ Stats.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 25)

Postby suptownbball34 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:32 pm

wow...nice strategy
"... I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass."
- Pedro Martinez

Go Superior Spartans!
suptownbball34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:46 pm

I think the single most important thing is to go through the entire list of players and make sure none slip through the cracks, particularly those who missed significant time last season. Otherwise, I've found stocking up on pitching early to work relatively well. With most owners focusing on hitting, there are often tremendous pitching bargains to be had. There's always a significant amount of luck involved, though. No strategy is perfect; all you can do is optimize your chances.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby fezzik » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:58 pm

Once a year I do an autodraft with some friends of mine who can't all get together for a live draft...I'd suggest one of two strategies...

The first (safe but productive):
Simply rank the top 200 players from best to worst...if you feel like this task is too daunting, you can check espn's draft monitor to check out the average position each player is drafted...then you can make minor adjustments from that. If you're playing in a league with very knowledgeable players (which usually doesn't happen with autodrafts), this is the way to go. Now...if you want to get a bit greedy...

The second (greedy and fun...only works really well when most of the players used yahoo default rankings, or didn't alter them much):
First note which players are undervalued by yahoo. If they are drastically undervalued (40+ ranks off where you think they should be), move them up about 12-15 positions...if they are absurdly off (ie. Kaz Matsui ranked 700, then move them up around rank 150, so you'll be sure to take them in the later rounds). If they are moderately undervalued (15-40 ranks off your projection), then split the difference between where you think they should be and where they are. Then move them up that many positions. Next, move down any overvalued players accordingly. Example - if Gagne is at #3, move him to #20...if Palmeiro is #50 and you think that's too high, move him down to a proper postion.

Finally, load up all the sleepers that you want around rank 160-170, in order of preference (these would be sleepers ranked below 185 by yahoo). Now cross your fingers and pray.

Again, if you're playing with people who know what they're doing, don't employ strategy #2...And of course this only applies to yahoo autodrafts.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Arlo wrote:I think the single most important thing is to go through the entire list of players and make sure none slip through the cracks, particularly those who missed significant time last season. Otherwise, I've found stocking up on pitching early to work relatively well. With most owners focusing on hitting, there are often tremendous pitching bargains to be had. There's always a significant amount of luck involved, though. No strategy is perfect; all you can do is optimize your chances.

This is great advise. From the auto draft teams I have seen in the rate my team section it looks like the people who take the time to rank there players all have very solid teams while the owners who dont do very much pre ranking have very weak teams.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 pm

well I see that you talk about people that yahoo under rates. I have looked around and I have not seen too many people talk about yahoos list. Could you give me some of your thoughts. I would like to hear from some AL people since I am strongly in a NL bias league and so are my opponents(since im from Cincinnati, people usually take griffy in 3rd or 4th round)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jebatzel » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:47 pm

what should you do for say an offline draft?

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby fezzik » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:55 pm

well, my initial response was based on an assumption that you were doing a yahoo autodraft. if people doing a yahoo autodraft don't alter the default prerankings, they will draft according to yahoo's list. this list isn't too accurate in my opinion. while some rankings are clearly off (Vladamir Guerrero at around 40), others are more of a judgement call. that's why I didn't name many players. just glancing at yahoo's rankings, here are some guys that appear undervalued to me:
Johan Santana
K. Brown
Carlos Zambrano
Matt Morris
Brandon Webb
Josh Beckett
Jason Isringhausen
Brett Myers
Mike Hampton

Guerrero
Eric Chavez
Shawn Green
Jeter
Jay Gibbons
Jose Vidro
Mike Sweeney
Hank Blalock
Angel Berroa
Morgen Ensberg

so these guys I'd move up in the rankings...how much you move them up depends on what strategy you employ.

However, some of these picks you may disagree with about being undervalued...maybe you think Green is washed up. then move him down accordingly. These are just some names that jumped out to me. Again, if you're not autodrating in yahoo, my advice carries no meaning whatsoever.

Also, like most people continue to say...Live drafts are much more fun and involved. You have a much more hands on feel when molding your team round by round.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers