Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz continues to struggle.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ortiz continues to struggle.

Postby gfantasy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Papi was just traded in my league along with Beckett and Micah for Braun. STEAL!

He was just sold at an 80% discount! Any other bold moves in your league?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:15 am

I saw this guy traded straight up for Brad Lidge in a league tonight...I hit "vote against trade" so fast
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am

jcook3127 wrote:I saw this guy traded straight up for Brad Lidge in a league tonight...I hit "vote against trade" so fast

Why would you do that? Was it collusion? Did the guy trading Ortiz not need Lidge?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby anti elian » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:33 am

Someone keeps offering me Ortiz and random benchwarmers for Crawford. It's a new spin on the buy low, sell high strategy. The sell low, buy high, send email about how he expects player X to be fine strategy.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:06 am

Yoda wrote:
jcook3127 wrote:I saw this guy traded straight up for Brad Lidge in a league tonight...I hit "vote against trade" so fast

Why would you do that? Was it collusion? Did the guy trading Ortiz not need Lidge?

Well, now that Papi has solved his tax problems, I'm sure he'll go back to being the masher that he always has been. And a 1st-round masher for a 1st-round headcase just isn't a fair trade at all.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Yoda wrote:

No, it's a blatantly terrible trade...I'm sure if NBA GMs could've voted against the gasol trade, they would have.

My job as a league member is not simply to ensure that nobody is cheating...it is to maintain that the league remains competitive...Ortiz for Lidge under any circumstance on April 18th is stupid and veto-worthy.

Good day.
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:05 pm

jcook3127 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

No, it's a blatantly terrible trade...I'm sure if NBA GMs could've voted against the gasol trade, they would have.

My job as a league member is not simply to ensure that nobody is cheating...it is to maintain that the league remains competitive...Ortiz for Lidge under any circumstance on April 18th is stupid and veto-worthy.

Good day.

So you're not going to allow somebody to hit the panic button on Ortiz while adding something that they need?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -219)

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Correct. And if the league doesn't agree with me, the trade will go through and the league will go on...I despise people hitting the panic button and selling SO LOW...I'm surprised I got criticism from Yoda, as he's been putting up stop signs over Ortiz panicking for the past 3 weeks.
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:23 pm

jcook3127 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Good day.

If someone makes a stupid trade then it is his own fault and no one else's. Why is it everyone else's business?

I'm not saying Ortiz for Lidge is fair and I agree it is utterly stupid but why do you and everyone else have a say in decisions he makes?

If someone drops a star quality player who is struggling, then do you guys get to decide whether the dropped player disturbs the balance of league?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby BigMusky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 pm

league votes are stupid over trades because most people let there competitive nature get in way of objective view.

This trade almost got vetoed in our league

Pettite, Pena and Tejada for Pujols. Now why the hell anyone would vote against that is beyond me. I believe reason is Tejada and Pettite were bench players on the one team.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers