46%
Equally brilliant
17%
Overrated Drivel
13%

Total votes : 24

Re: No Country for Old Men vs There Will Be Blood

Postby RugbyD » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 am

I liked TWBB better as I think it edged out NCFOM on every level (acting, score, cinematography, etc), but they were both great movies. The spectacle of the one-man DDL show was something that will eventually be regarded the same way as Welles' performance in Citizen Kane.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am

This thread needs a poll. ;-D
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 am

I've only seen No Country for Old Men and I wasn't very impressed....I will say I need to see it again because I had my kids running around like their heads were chopped off so I didn't get to pay as close attention as I wanted to. I can't wait to see There will be Blood.....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Re: REVISED: No Country for Old Men vs There Will Be Blood

Postby CineMamet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 am

Wow. Very surprised yet bored by the responses. Everyone liked both of them? Could it be that the fantasy baseball demographic leans toward critical darlings as unpopular in the eyes of the public as these two? This isn't the Rotten Tomatoes forum, but someone please hate so we can flame away!

Just a note on these two films...I don't think I remember a time when the best picture nominees were as unpopular with the general public as 2007. I mean, people HATED No Country, didn't care to watch There Will Be Blood (and many who did hated it), Michael Clayton was blah and generally unseen, Atonement was expectedly marginal. The only "popular" film was Juno, but it quickly gained as many haters as it did fans. At least the Brokeback Mountain year had Crash, which was Joe Schmoe's favorite "artsy" film (replacing American Beauty).

Personally, I thought this was a good year for cinema, although besides the two films polled above, we will remember this as the year of the second sequels (Pirates 3, Bourne 3, Spider-Man 3, Rush Hour 3, Shrek 3, etc).

What happened to films like Gladiator, Crouching Tiger, The Sixth Sense, The Green Mile, Braveheart, etc? Does Ron Howard need to come back strong to revive the popular, safe film? Or has the past ten years caused a giant rift between the art house crowd and the blockbusters?
Last edited by CineMamet on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CineMamet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:10 am

tuff_gong wrote:Semi-related to this topic, but I think a lot of people would agree that 2007 was a great year for movies (compared to most this decade). What films from this year do you think will be looked back upon as classics in the future? There are 4-5 that stick out in my mind.

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
I'm Not There
Zodiac (sleeper, I just think this is such a well done movie, and the reason David Fincher will win Best Picture for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

The first two will live on in cinema history books -- although oddly some perceive the Coens' victory at the Oscars as a lifetime achievement rather than NCfOM deserving based on merit.

The third, I'm not sure. I don't think it will be considered a classic, even in the way that a long "quiet" film like a Terrence Malick would. But like Malick, it will gain a sort of cult status but more discussed on film forums as the "underrated" or overlooked film so much, that it will become overrated (think Donnie Darko).

I'm Not There I don't see as becoming a classic. I liked it, but I think people will forget about the film in 5 years (it won't be a TNT film that's for sure). Zodiac I could see as a sleeper classic, but again, the type of classic that will be considered one of the best of the year? I don't think it will quite gain the popularity of Se7en or Fight Club, but I could see it gaining decent ratings on cable.

Besides the blockbusters, what about American Gangster, Beowulf, 300, Grindhouse? These might do well on DVD for years, while Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Into the Wild, Eastern Promises, Gone Baby Gone, etc. won't. In conclusion, very few films ever emerge every year as classics in the film historian sense, but in terms of the $$$ and pop culture talk, this was a dynamite year.

Cult classics: Zodiac, Across the Universe, Sweeney Todd, Juno, Simpsons Movie, Jessie James, and all the Judd Appatow hits.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't think these movies were as unpopular as the statistics suggest because the statistics are highly skewed. I cannot remember a release of an Oscar-winner as flubbed as TWBB was. By the time time the Oscars rolled around TWBB was still in limited release. Another aspect is that the dominant consumer in the movie theater business are adolescents. I'm not sure what the best way to determine popularity is but I don't believe it is box-office profits especially when most movies make the bulk of the money on DVD sales.

I just got to see TWBB recently and I must admit that I was a little underwhelmed after all the hype. I voted for NCFOM, which for me was a better piece of entertainment from beginning to end. DDL's performance was beyond amazing. However, there are a lot of dry patches in between the great scenes.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:39 pm

There Will Be Blood alternate ending:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Ri33bydAavI&hl
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby J35J » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 pm

I just finished watching There Will Be Blood......ummmm huh? What was that?

I mentioned earlier that I didn't get to watch No Country for Old Men like I wanted with my kids running around and all but that was definately a better movie....still not great, but better. Neither are in my top 20.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:There Will Be Blood alternate ending:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Ri33bydAavI&hl

Haha, damn you!

I had read that there actually was another ending, but they decided it was in too bad of taste (Daniel takes the pastor, forgot his name, and throws him through the pins) to make it that way. I thought you were actually showing us that ending. Oh well, I love Larry David so it was alright.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby CineMamet » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 am

J35J wrote:I just finished watching There Will Be Blood......ummmm huh? What was that?

I mentioned earlier that I didn't get to watch No Country for Old Men like I wanted with my kids running around and all but that was definately a better movie....still not great, but better. Neither are in my top 20.

Neither in your top 20? Wow. Real quick, what do you have ranked higher?
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk