Return to Baseball Leftovers

the final say on sportsline vs yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:45 pm

I will urge my friend to come back and reply.

I think his goal was to heckle me. And if he got the boards support great. Or if the board chose not to support him, they are simply part of a skewed board.

Nonetheless, I would like to hear his comebacks too ;-).
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sportsline_user » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:05 pm

Sportsline is simple to navigate -- if you're the type that logs on once/ week and don't take the time to look around, then yeah it'll be difficult.

Sportsline Message board rules -- It's the reason our league moved there with their private messaging system (along with league polls).

If you want free, then Yahoo. If you want pay, no doubt Sportsline Commissioner.

If you have a very active trading/talking group, Sportsline is perfect to accomodate you with that.
Sportsline_user

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:11 pm

The 2 keeper leagues I'm in are run off sportsline as well.

The private message board can get you though. I for one generally check on when I finish the night shift at my resteraunt and have had a few drinks. Another reason for getting on at that time is to beat my 9-5 league members to the waiver wire when Ken Gimpy or whoever else gets hurt. Guillen was waiver wire fodder in my 12 team league until Griffey got hurt.

Back to the point after relaxing to a few drinks I too often have forgotten to send my messages private. DOH!!! I have a few over the years friendships made with some of the guys in my leagues where we simply swap player evaluation and trade advice over private messageing.

It can really screw you over when your messages just gossiping about your trade prospects go................

2003 mid may
"I can let Furcal go pretty cheap, he is batting way over is head and wont keep performing with the first tier SS's. I'll try and get a pitcher near the top of the 2nd tier for him"

or
"I'm trying to get owner X to pay this for the Moose but its the last year I can keep him, I'm getting desperate"

LOL :-D :-D :-D
The private messages rock, but it sucks when you have slip up like I have done a few times and tip your hand to the entire league.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:58 pm

The CBS interface is clunky and a pain to navigate. I prefer using Yahoo's interface, but that could also just be personal opinion. Throw in the fact that it's free, and it's an easy decision for me...
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sdfan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:46 am

Thought Id throw my two cents in. Ive played in both and still do for baseball. Clearly, the Cbs site is incredibly clunky and ovecrowded. I am used to it but very little is simple in Cbssportsline. I also had concerns because the site was incredibly unreliable last year and in turn I often was frustrated with scoring errors etc... in my custom league. This is where yahoo is clearly better. More reliable, clearer inferface and quicker navigation.

This being said, the customization that yahoo lacks in many facets makes it a clear 2nd choice for anyone in a custom league. Since my league runs an auction draft, Yahoo isnt even an option. Cbs makes running an auction league simple and quite easily done. On top of this, CBS simply offers many more tools both for the person running the league and each particular owner and thus is a better choice for most* leagues(Granted most of the fantasy insight on CBS is worthless in my eyes).
sdfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sportsline_user » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:44 am

Bukoski77 wrote:It can really screw you over when your messages just gossiping about your trade prospects go................

But at the same time, you can enhance your trade prospects.....

Send a fake trade message ... acting as if you're in trade negotiations with someone else (getting across to the other owners you mistakenly sent a "private message" publicly ..... You begin to see very quickly trade offers coming your way ;-D
sportsline_user

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:32 am

sportsline_user wrote:
Bukoski77 wrote:It can really screw you over when your messages just gossiping about your trade prospects go................

But at the same time, you can enhance your trade prospects.....

Send a fake trade message ... acting as if you're in trade negotiations with someone else (getting across to the other owners you mistakenly sent a "private message" publicly ..... You begin to see very quickly trade offers coming your way ;-D

Sneaky... ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby SkewedBoard » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:13 pm

Free Bagel wrote:The CBS interface is clunky and a pain to navigate. I prefer using Yahoo's interface, but that could also just be personal opinion. Throw in the fact that it's free, and it's an easy decision for me...

I agree with this comment 100%. Yahoo's! interface is much easier for me to navigate.

In terms of message boards, private messages are indeed one advantage CBS has over Yahoo! It is nice to be able to post a message and have only one person read it. But also, one can acquire another managers AIM name and communicate privately that way.

This past weekend I familiarized myself with the Sportsline site, and it is a good site. However, I agree with Bagel when he says that yahoo!'s interface is easier to navigate. Whether its looking up players, checking out the league standings, or merely starting your team, Yahoo! is much more user friendly.

I guess everyone will have his or her own opinion on this subject, and thus I'll have to wait and see how this season pans out before I give my final statement on this sudden booming discussion.

And yes, I do have a life, so I apologize to those that were impatient with my response. I am usually very busy with developing a higher education in addition to working and earning disposable income. I did not know I should respond to others' opinions, and for that I am truely sorry. I hope I am allowed to post again here in this forum and that I have not stepped on any of the "elite" poster's toes!
SkewedBoard
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:I will urge my friend to come back and reply.

I think his goal was to heckle me. And if he got the boards support great. Or if the board chose not to support him, they are simply part of a skewed board.

Nonetheless, I would like to hear his comebacks too ;-).

Is that the same guy that you put my quote in your signature for? :-D

Oh yeah, Sportsline was too buggy for me last year. I'm sticking with Yahoo for this year. Maybe Sportsline will be able to clean it up this season.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:51 pm

Yes it is Madison :-).

If the Rangers pitchers improved by 0.001% everytime you gave your Sportsline line, they may end up producing at least one .500 pitcher with an ERA under 5.00 this season :-B :-D ;-) .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers