Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

10 team Roto, big rosters. Pitching a concern?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

10 team Roto, big rosters. Pitching a concern?

Postby Pokey » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Standard 5x5 10 team roto. I love my offense, but how concerned should I be with my pitching? I love Kazmir and Smoltz, but both are injury risks, and it's likely that both will start the year on the DL! :-o Though hopefully not for long. My closers are a gaggle of question marks as well. Still, I'm very happy with this team. Would you be?

C- Victor Martinez
1B- Ryan Howard
2B- Rickie Weeks
3B- Chipper Jones
SS- Jimmy Rollins
IF- Adrian Gonzalez
OF- Magglio Ordonez
OF- Nick Markakis
OF- Corey Hart
UTIL- Nick Swisher
UTIL- Pat Burrell
UTIL- Billy Butler

BN- J.D. Drew
BN- Khalil Greene
BN- Aaron Hill
BN- Nate McClouth
BN- Mark Reynolds

SP- Scott Kazmir
SP- John Smoltz
RP- Matt Capps
RP- Kerry Wood
P- Matt Cain
P- Dustin McGowan
P- Jeremy Guthrie
P- Eric Gagne

BN- Matt Garza
BN- Zack Greinke
BN- Hiroki Kuroda
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10 team Roto, big rosters. Pitching a concern?

Postby redwings122 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:39 pm

You have high risk pitchers in Wood, Gangne, Smoltz, Kazmir that could burn you in the long run. McGowan is a safe bet as well as Capps and Cain. Your offense is solid.
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -72)

Re: 10 team Roto, big rosters. Pitching a concern?

Postby 3rice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Pokey, I agree with what the last poster said, however Kazmir has a reputation for coming back from injuries fairly quickly and healthier then before (hes young). I love Kaz and I project him to have a top 5 pitching season in 08.

Smoltz is tough to gauge tho, hes been around for awhile and has some wear and tear but his injury is less complicated and seems like something he's gonna get through quickly. Unfortunetly I don't think this will be his only dl stint in the 08 season, so heres some options id consider to prepare yourself.

Big big fan of the Reds pitching staff this year, even despite Dusty baker...in fact I think Baker is gonna try to change his image and will be hesitant to put any of his young stars in any kinda jeopardy. Love Cueto, will prob have a better and more complete year then Homer Bailey, also I think Josh Fogg is gonna be a great back end of the rotation type of starter.

I keep being told that Jake Westbrook is overachieving right now, but he hasnt allowed a run yet in ST, and you can ignore that. On top theres quite a bit of run protection coming from that lineup. I liked Lee last year and then one day started paying attention to Westbrook, hes got about 4 good pitches and is starting to mold himself into a Strike out pitcher. consider him...

I know this sounds crazy but Prior hasn't shown and setbacks and has had alot of time to develop some new curve ball hes been working with, he'll not be up till mid may but that could time itself right b/c Smoltz might be breaking down again around then. Ive never been a guy to say "this year Prior will come back" but this year I just have a feeling that all the pieces of the puzzle are there. Petco Park, starting in the back end of the rotation, and a great pitching coach.

Id also watch Silva, his ERA is getting better from year to year. , Micah Owings, showed improvement at the end of last season, and Scott Baker (if available)

Love McGowan, Cain will get you ERA and Whip....no so much w/ wins tho, Guthrie might not blossom till after all star break.

Bench Gange, Play Kuroda, watch Grienke

Check to see if Soria is available, CJ Wilson wont be the closer all season, Also if all closers are gone, check out Pat Neshek from Minnesota, hes gonna steal saves from Nathan this year and be the best set up man in MLB.

-imout

hey if u get a chance...check mine....viewtopic.php?t=330614
3rice
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team