Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'M A ROOKIE, LOOKING FOR HELP WITH DRAFT STRATEGY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'M A ROOKIE, LOOKING FOR HELP WITH DRAFT STRATEGY

Postby mrhsia22 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:08 pm

This will be my first year playing in the ROTO league and a LIVE Draft. I know players like AROD, Pujols, Soriano, Helton etc... will all be taken in the first round.

My question is, what is typically the thinest position talent wise on the field (Catchers? 2B?). And should I grab a high ranked player to fill that position as early as possible?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I am new to this game. Any additional draft strategy would be welcome.
mrhsia22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:47 pm

Everyone's is going to have a different strategy. And that's the way it should be! The worst thing you could do is lock yourself into a set drafting strategy because sooner or later, you'll get screwed over by those who employ the same strategy as yours.

For example, lets say you do try to fill in the weak spots first such as 3B, 2B and C. Most of the other owners in your league might feel the same way. Now you're fighting over Hinkse in the 3rd round while someone else is scooping up Manny Ramirez.

My suggestion is to take the best player available even if it means taking 4 OF's in a row which is not likely to happen but if it does, you can always trade your way to a balanced lineup.

Bottom line is be flexible. Draft the players YOU think will perform this year. Play the way YOU think the game should be played. It's your first year, you're going to make lots of mistakes. The challenge is to learn from them.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:52 pm

Second base and catchers are equally thin in my mind. The stars are better at 2B though. If you get the 3rd pick or later do not hesitate to grab Soriano. That way 2B is filled with the best possible candidate. Otherwise you might get B. Boone in the 3rd or 4th. After him, Kent. If it was me, and I missed out on all three, I'd wait a while to grab somebody like Reyes.

I never like drafting catchers early. I usually grab the best avaiable post 12th round.

I agree with the above post. Draft the best players in the first 4-5 rounds of the draft and then start filling in. Some of those players you get may be Boone's or Soriano's or Rolen's and that's just a bonus. However don't take sombody like Rolen over a player you know will do better just because he plays at a weak position. Go with your gut and you'll do fine.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby kentx12 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:22 pm

I would suggest you look at the mock drafts here in the cafe and study where players were taken. That will help you alot.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Return to Baseball Leftovers