Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Spent a bit much on the high end...is there hope? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spent a bit much on the high end...is there hope? WHIR

Postby guardian270 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm in a 10 team fantasy point league, so stat categories are not important, just overall production. We auctioned off our 17 starters (5 SP, 2 RP, 4 OF, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, C, UTIL), and I overspent on my first five, so I had to scrounge for the rest. How does the team look? What areas should I focus on for my bench players? Personally I think its weak, but you're the experts...

SP: J. Peavy
SP: B. Webb
SP: J. Bonderman
SP: P. Hughes
SP: D. Willis
RP: F. Cordero
RP: J. Soria

1B: A. Pujols
2B: D. Uggla
3B: M. Cabrera
SS: H. Ramirez
OF: C. Young
OF: J. Dye
OF: M. Kemp
OF: K. Fukodome
UTIL: A. Beltre

Obviously the OF is weak, but we are really down to bare bones in that category. Best options (no perennial All-Stars here):

Luke Scott
Billy Butler
Pat Burrell
Mark Teahan

Any thoughts? WHIR.
guardian270
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spent a bit much on the high end...is there hope? WHIR

Postby uscrichie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:36 pm

add BButler, drop Dye....

help me out

viewtopic.php?t=329932
uscrichie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Dodgerblue8188 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:58 pm

If Pujols has a good year I'm sure you're a lock for a playoff team. Looks very strong. With Cabrera, Ramirez and Pujols in the infield. And Peavy and Webb
Dodgerblue8188
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Jimmy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:12 pm

Wow you pretty much have 4 first rounders on your team. But now here comes the criticism for your team.
It's going to crush the competition on home runs, rbi's but it's short on steals. Ideally I think over a season a team should have 100-150 stolen bases to compete and after Hanley, there's a small scattering of stolen bases to be found. I do like Matt Kemp shows as a multi-category player so he'll get you some steals there. Some guys you could target for stolen bases may be Nate McLouth, Jerry Owens, or another one of my personal sleeper favorites Rajal Davis. With regards to pitching, you have 2 of the top 3 pitchers in the league. Very nice. The other three pitchers I have neutral feelings for. As for closers, I usually take whatever is leftover. Each year it's pretty unpredictable which teams give how many opportunities for saves. As long as the pitcher is a closer, it's good. So you have two solid closers. You won't find the difference between those two and JJ Putz and Papelborn very great. Not bad pitching at all.

Here's how I drafted in my league, although it's a roto instead of auction league.
viewtopic.php?t=329943
Ichiro? No...
Dunn? No...
Ichiro Dunn! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Adam Suzuki! 106 runs, 23 home runs, 87 rbis, 23 stolen bases, 0.313 season average
Double the fun!
Jimmy
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)

Postby skjelstrom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Don't drop butler just put him on your bench. Leave Dye in until Butler proves he's worth swapping Dye out. Other than that I dont see any problems with your team. Good job. hope I helped GOOD LUCK!

If you have time take a look and comment on mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329338&p=2645845#p2645845
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I agree that your team is weak in the speed dept., but in a 10 man league it's not horrible. Hanley is a lock for at least 40 and up to 55, C.B. Young is going to get you at least 25, Kemp is a question mark but stole 10 bases in less than half a season last year. Fukudome could also steal 10 bases easily.

I think your team is pretty solid personally.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby guardian270 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:13 am

Any other thoughts?
guardian270
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby redseal11 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Nice solid infielders and pitchers. I would think about some backup to your OF position. It might be a gamble but you might think about Carlos Gomez, who just won the starting role for MIN. This spring he is hitting .286, with 1 homer, 6Rbi's and 10 STOLEN BASES. That would help your speed and OF concerns.

viewtopic.php?t=330167
redseal11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sting93 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Your team is pretty solid, especially in a points league where categories dont matter. If you need speed, there is always cheap speed out there that in this format you won't lose BA for. Guys like Jacoby, Jason Bartlett, and Carloz Gomez are examples of cheap speed, as well as more known players like Jerry Owens and Willits. Pick up Butler for sure, i think he'll have trouble avoiding 90 RBI and a .300 average. Your star power will make you set.
Sox, Jays, Sens, and Raps...
sting93
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby drnick5 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 pm

thanks for your help in my post.

personally I don't think your OF is as weak as you may think. I like Kemp to have a breakout year this year. fukodome is a big question mark, but he could have a good year as well. Young is a good outfielder,, I'd grab butler if this is a keeper league, if not than you can probably just stick with dye.

the rest of your team is pretty solid. You could also try trading one of your stars (Pujols maybe?) and getting a top notch outfielder
drnick5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team