Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jon Lieber

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jon Lieber

Postby Collateral » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:50 am

I'm not saying he's a sleeper, but he's a guy I'd like to snag late in the draft. In a 10team league (with as many Yankee haters as Yankee fans) how long do you think I can hold out if I'd like to have him?
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:01 am

you could wait a while in a ten teamer. there are plenty of pitchers to go around. later rounds would be about right. dont grab him too early.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Collateral » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:10 am

I feel the same way.... but wondering more specifically what Round would you guess should lock him up?
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:12 am

in the later rounds, there is no such thing as "the round" to take someone. a draft will just fill itself out based on who each manager believes are good sleepers, what categories they need help in and which positions they need backups for. its nearly impossible to predict the later rounds because the rankings are less obvious.

its much easier to compare Beltran and Berkman than Lieber and another late round pitcher.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Collateral » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:15 am

again I agree.... would never expect someone to predict such a thing with any certainty.

let me word it this way.... If there are any Lieber fans out there, approximately what Round will you look to draft him?
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:47 am

It's not exactly what you asked, but he went for $5 in my auction league. To give you an idea of what company he is in: Sabathia went for 6, B.K. Kim for 7, Brad Penny for 5, Jae Seo went for 5, etc.

In a 10 team league, I'll bet you can get him around the 18th round. But that's just a wild guess. The cafe rankings don't even include him.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby Dude86 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:50 am

Don't buy into the Lieber hype. Even on his best day he's nothing to get excited about.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:56 am

I would guess you could get him in the 18th+ rounds....but I would wait...alot of people are over looking him because of his injury....you probably can get him off waivers... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:00 am

Dude86 wrote:Don't buy into the Lieber hype. Even on his best day he's nothing to get excited about.
At his best he was 20-6 with a 3.80 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. Thats something to get excited about.

But that was in the past, and he is only worth a late round flyer this year.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Lieber

Postby cartman1_24 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:14 am

Don't be too passive. Before Arod he was more overlooked. Now the whole Yankees team especially the SP is getting the once over. Anyone thinking he'll be forgotten about because he was hurt last year was correct before all this media hype. Now everyone knows the Yankees line-up and their starting rotation. He'll be taken, if for no other reason, just because of the expected run support. A pitcher with a good past record and with an expected abundance of run support...oh yeah sounds like a good candidate to help a team in at least the wins category.
"Anyone can put on 30 lbs. of muscle in an off-season..."-Barry Bonds
cartman1_24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers