Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saddest career ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:35 pm

Crash Davis .... all time Minor League homerun king, with only one week spent in the "Show" ;-7

on a more serious note of recent memory, Ankiel has got to be up there. And why no mention of Josh Hamilton? he was the number one overall pick in '99
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Straw

Postby riplycolt » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:42 pm

To me, Darryl Strawberry's career was most dissapointing. Had he not developed such a nasty drug habbit, he probably would have become one of the greatest homerun hitters of all time. He should have never gone to Los Angeles. It is unfortunate that he will be most rememered for his inability to quit doing drugs rather than his ability to play baseball.
riplycolt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:46 pm

poster boy for second chances ...

Steve Howe :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby phatjagz14 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:56 pm

I'd have to say Bill Buckner also. The guy had a great career but ask anyone about him and they bring up one play. Mention his name in Boston and risk a riot. If had put his glove all the way down, he would have a World Series ring. Instead he can never go to Massachusetts again. :-/
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:26 pm

going for the cardinals theme here:

ankiel
alan benes (potential ace but was probably overworked, had rotator cuff surgery twice and was never the same)
d.k.
jd drew

how many world series could the cards have won if alan never got injured, dk never died, and ankiel could throw it to the catcher?

how about bo jackson? he probably wasnt as good as i remember him being but its sad nonetheless.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:18 am

Teddy Higuera was a star?

I heard Clyde give a interview. He said he had no regrets, he cherished his experience.

On Griffey, a HOF career isn't sad.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby stumpak » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:30 am

Don't forget Billy Bean himself, who was also supposed to be a can't-miss guy.

There is also Kevein Maas, who came up in the late 80s and hit like 20 HRs in half a season for the Yanks, creating a big stir, and then completely fizzeled out. Sort of like Joe Carboneau.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:34 am

What about Grady Little - pretty sad managerial career.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby grammysboy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:21 am

Subversive wrote:If we wanna talk about sad careers, how about we start with one Mr. Ankiel.

this would be my vote for the winner, although there was a Royals player in the 80's who never lived up to his potential. The story was that Clint Hurdle could have been one of the greatest if he had not started running with George Brett and a couple of others every night (usually all nigh).
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Going back a bit...

Postby Spokes » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:44 am

I know someone already said Mark Wohlers, but do you actually understand how bad it really got for him? He was the shut-down closers of the 90s up until that one 2-2 hanging slider to Jim Leyritz with 2 on and 2 out in the bottom of the 8th inning of game 4 of the WS, that even a VERY young Andruw Jones couldn't catch as he climbed the left field wall. "Back, at the track, at the wall, WE ARE TIED." --Joe Buck. Man, I remember that well and loved all of it.
After that pitch, he lost his confidence and the strike zone. He got booed out of Atlanta because he started walking guys, 3 in a row, with wild pitches. He was out of baseball, tried to come back and was wild again and when he wasn't wild, pitches sat right in the wheelhouse. Then his wife divorced him, she got the kids and the house and I think he ran into some trouble with the IRS. Just amazing how quick his downfall was. I loved seeing him meltdown after '96 at first, but when he really began losing him private life, that made you feel bad for the guy. At least he is back in baseball, I think.
Other unfortunate careers: He's young, but Josh Hamilton looks like he is headed down the road where he can't go a half a season without legal troubles.
Bob Hamelin...won the ROY and then...???
How about that guy back in the 50s or 60 for Boston that was a good player and young, then got hit in the eye with a pitch and had to retire. Tony Conigliero?
And, maybe this doesn't fit because he had a great career, but he could have done so much more, Lou Gerhig.
I am sure there are plenty more, but that's what is off the top of my head right now.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers