Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Crawford going early to mid second round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is Crawford going early to mid second round?

Postby stepsinsc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:00 pm

It's easy to forget but the guy is only 26, also...
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby angelo285 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:41 pm

I agree with you...I'd much rather grab a Carlos Lee and snag pierre and his 60 steals 6 rounds later. But I think its all about what you value. Of course, I think people value multi-cat guys a bit too high. I.E. I'd take Cabrera over Wright any day of the week.
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm

angelo285 wrote:I agree with you...I'd much rather grab a Carlos Lee and snag pierre and his 60 steals 6 rounds later. But I think its all about what you value. Of course, I think people value multi-cat guys a bit too high. I.E. I'd take Cabrera over Wright any day of the week.
If you take Pierre counting on 60 SB you might have some problems.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:52 pm

angelo285 wrote:I agree with you...I'd much rather grab a Carlos Lee and snag pierre and his 60 steals 6 rounds later. But I think its all about what you value. Of course, I think people value multi-cat guys a bit too high. I.E. I'd take Cabrera over Wright any day of the week.

Pierre is more worried about getting 60 starts with Ethier likely to start in LF right now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

If you take Pierre counting on 60 SB you might have some problems.

Not only that, it's probably no better than a wash anyways to take Carlos Lee and Juan Pierre instead of Carl Crawford and someone like Matt Kemp. Add up their projected stats and in either case you're looking at something in the neighborhood of .300, 40 HRs, 160 RBIs, 180 runs, and 65 steals. The difference maker for me is that Crawford and Kemp have much more upside and much less downside than Lee and Pierre.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

stepsinsc wrote:It's easy to forget but the guy is only 26, also...

He does seem like he's been around forever. :-b
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -43)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:The difference maker for me is that Crawford and Kemp have much more upside and much less downside than Lee and Pierre.

Not to mention that you could probably have gotten Kemp four rounds after Pierre (assuming he was going to get 50+ steals)... ;-D

Obviously Pierre was just a bad example there, but what other decent starting options do you have for steals that don't come from players at the top of the draft? Shane Victorino? Willy Tavares? Filipe Lopez? Reggie Willits?

Right around the end of that list, you start hitting a break-point there in a 12 team league where you're starting these guys only for their steals, because they just don't compete in the rest of your categories... and then you end up handicapping the rest of your team with these guys just hoping to keep pace with the guys who got their speed at the top of the draft and are having no problems whatsoever with their power numbers.

This is why Crawford is a top-two rounder... because the next set of guys who are going to steal 35+ bases are all looking at 5HR seasons and probably won't drive in more than 50 runs. If you get out of the first four rounds and you don't already have 60SB on your team, you'd better be making strong moves towards getting a Victorino, Figgins, etc on your team, and you're probably going to have to grab them a round or two early because of that desperation.

For the record, Nate McLouth is going to be my #4 OF if I don't get Justin Upton. :-b
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -21)

Postby angelo285 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Pierre was just an example! But that was really well said MTUCache...good point.

We'll see if Crawford has this amazing season everyone seems to be counting on, though.
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers