1) Bud Selig
2) the Brewers and Pirates taking boatloads of Taxpayer dollars to finance new stadiums, and then cutting salary.
3) The Players association refusing to bend on any issue even if would be better for everyone, if it so much as takes one penny from the players short term. I.E. the reason we still have the DH.
4) The fact that there is no salary cap.
5) The fact that owners go out and overpay and overextend midlevel players and then blame the Yankees for raising salaries. I.E. MIke Hampton-Colorado
Chan Ho PArk- Texas
Damian Easley- Detroit
6) Useless Steroid policy that had to be pushed for decades to get in, and still is uselessly unenforceable, all because MLB knows that the Sosa Mcguire Homerun explosion is what brought everyone back after the strike, and its easier to turn a blind eye to Guys like Bonds whos head grows three sizes then to keep moving the fences in every season. So what if every statistic in history has been rendered meaningless?
7) The old boy network that figures out a way to let the Loria dump the Expos and go to Fla. and Let Henry jump to Boston, even though they ran both of their previous franchises into the ground.
Am I missing anything?
Basically, the current Yankees are the effect, not the cause.
"This word...I do not think it means what you think it means."