Return to Baseball Leftovers

when do you guys take 2b

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: when do you guys take 2b

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Thoughts on Iwamura? He's moving over to 2B (will require a few games to gain eligibility), I assume he'll leadoff again this year, and a breakout would presumably boost his power numbers a bit. Is .295, 15 HRs, 100 runs, 70 RBIs, 15 steals too high of a projection?

Yep it's too high. .290 10 HR's 90 runs 50 RBI's 15 SB would be his ceiling in 2008.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Element wrote:
Kent in 100 games would still provide more production than Castillo in 140. I love how everyone keeps writing that guy off. I'm aiming for Weeks again this season, but I have no issue waiting on a Jeff Kent or Kelly Johnson to fall into my lap.

Not quite sure how you figure that. A 100 games of Jeff Kent (which incidentally is very likely) would not be worth a roster spot in a 16 teamer.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Element » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Put the pipe down. That stuff is bad for you.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Element wrote:
Kent in 100 games would still provide more production than Castillo in 140. I love how everyone keeps writing that guy off. I'm aiming for Weeks again this season, but I have no issue waiting on a Jeff Kent or Kelly Johnson to fall into my lap.

Not quite sure how you figure that. A 100 games of Jeff Kent (which incidentally is very likely) would not be worth a roster spot in a 16 teamer.

I guess my next question is, has Castillo ever produced better than Kent in the last three years?

Kent
149 G, 100 R, 29 HR, 105 RBI, 6 SB, .289 AVG
115, 61, 14, 68, 1, .292
136, 78, 20, 79, 1, .302

Castillo
122 G, 72 R, 4 HR, 30 RBI, 10 SB, .301 AVG
142, 84, 3, 49, 25, .296
135, 91, 1, 38, 19, .301

R and AVG should be about the same. Kent will destroy Castillo in HR, RBI while Castillo's only chance to be more valuable is to get 50 SBs to make up for the loss in HR, RBI. Yeah I'll take Kent.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Thoughts on Iwamura? He's moving over to 2B (will require a few games to gain eligibility), I assume he'll leadoff again this year, and a breakout would presumably boost his power numbers a bit. Is .295, 15 HRs, 100 runs, 70 RBIs, 15 steals too high of a projection?

Japanese players take a year to adjust to the majors in most cases and I think Iwamura will see some of his power come this year. I like hm for 12-15 HR's depending on how much playtime he gets. I think .295 is too optimistic for the AVG though and I'm not convinced he'll steal over 10 bases since he was caught on 8 of 20 attempts last year. If he cannot improve on that they won't keep sending him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Ender wrote:

Japanese players take a year to adjust to the majors in most cases and I think Iwamura will see some of his power come this year. I like hm for 12-15 HR's depending on how much playtime he gets. I think .295 is too optimistic for the AVG though and I'm not convinced he'll steal over 10 bases since he was caught on 8 of 20 attempts last year. If he cannot improve on that they won't keep sending him.

I like him as a sleeper at 2nd, but aren't there concerns now over the Drays maybe starting the season with Evan Longoria in the minors?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 pm

NZ Eff wrote:

Yep it's too high. .290 10 HR's 90 runs 50 RBI's 15 SB would be his ceiling in 2008.

Are you anticipatin him missing time or something? Or that he'll stop drawing walks?

I don't quite understand how you can predict his AVG will raise 5 points, presumably he'll play in more than 123 games, his OBP will be around .365 or so (presuming his OBA doesn't improve at all), an he'll only score 8 more runs than last season? 15 steals seems reasonable enough, provided he runs and is successful at a similar rate to last season, and 10 HR and 50 RBI don't seem off, either, but I'm struggling to figure him scoring less than 95 - 100 runs other than a sophmore slump, which you don't seem to be anticipating...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:47 am

moochman wrote:
Ender wrote:

I like him as a sleeper at 2nd, but aren't there concerns now over the Drays maybe starting the season with Evan Longoria in the minors?

I did hear yesterday on MLB Live that yes, the Rays are planning on starting the season with Longoria in the minors. Perhaps they are following what the Brewers did last year with Braun? I don't know...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby NZ Eff » Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Yoda wrote:Kent will destroy Castillo in terms of fantasy production in 2008. They won't even be close.

A good time to revisit this thread with the season now 1/3 completed.

As expected both Castillo and Kent have missed a little time. Kent has 153 AB's and Castillo has 151 so far.

Castillo 24 runs 2 HR's 15 RBI's 9 SB BA .258

Kent 16 runs 4 HR's 22 RBI's 0 SB BA .242
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Relentless » Thu May 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Well, I had the 3rd pick and boldly took Utley over Reyes, Pujols, and Wright. So, I guess 1st round. I know it was high risk-high reward situation, and so far it is looking good.

Also, a Cubs fan in my league dropped Kinsler for Theriot in the beginning of the season. So, I also have Kinsler, but he plays Util.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers