Return to Cold Stove League

Discussion on league rules/issues/options

Moderator: smoovethug

Re: Discussion on league rules/issues/options

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Agree definitely on QSs or CGs. I'm all for a slow draft if that's what people want. I at least would like to see CI, MI and minimum 4-5 OFs though. Would personally rather see all OF rather than LF, CF, RF. Don't like the cap on weekly moves. Churning is a legit strat sp I don't like the cap on that. Oh and no minors.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby smoovethug » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:57 pm

I disagree on quality starts and/or complete games. In the pitch count era, CG's are few and far between. I personally think losses are the best way to go. Especially if you don't have a weekly move cap. It creates thought before churning without a conscience because there is a flip side to that coin. Sure you can go churn to try to go for more wins or more K's but there is a chance that that pitcher will also get you a loss. Quality starts and complete games seem to cater towards churning rather than hinder it. Also don't get me started on quality starts. 6 IP, 3 ER = 4.50 ERA. Big whoop.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Sorry my bad, I mean to say QS over CGs (I was distracted). Agree that CGs are not a great stat because they happen rarely and would seem out of place in an H2H. QS are better but it is true that this still caters to churning. Still, with 6 pitching cats 3 being catered towards starters and 3 relievers I don't see a big problem.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:49 pm

Another question, is this strictly a standard draft or is there any possibility of an auction?
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:44 pm

smoovethug wrote:I disagree on quality starts and/or complete games. In the pitch count era, CG's are few and far between. I personally think losses are the best way to go. Especially if you don't have a weekly move cap. It creates thought before churning without a conscience because there is a flip side to that coin. Sure you can go churn to try to go for more wins or more K's but there is a chance that that pitcher will also get you a loss. Quality starts and complete games seem to cater towards churning rather than hinder it. Also don't get me started on quality starts. 6 IP, 3 ER = 4.50 ERA. Big whoop.

I agree with that...if QS was to be used I think it should be used in place of Wins...which I have no problem with. Losses would make churners think twice before plugging in a random SP. A ratio stat would also work, but I can't think of one that wouldn't be somewhat redundant with K's and/or WHIP. Or a weekly cap on moves, which would make it a bit more interesting as well.

A co-commisioner sounds fine. I've never been a commish otherwise I'd offer to help you out...but you might have to train me. :-b I've played 7-8 years of fantasy, but never commished a league.

I'd prefer a redraft for this year, with the possibility of it evolving into a keeper if enough people remain active and want to return.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am

You can't see people's names besides who they voted for, just numbers?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby fantasybeast27 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Was there going to be a poll for dynasty, keeper, or redraft?
fantasybeast27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Cold Stove League