Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not D.Wright #2?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby cannonarm21 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm

I have yet to see a mock draft where Wright goes #2. Why not? A young 3B on a good team coming off a 30/30 season, hitting .325. If I drafted #2 (which I don't) that is who I would take.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby abrage22 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:41 pm

he's prabably who i would take 2nd! he's a great 5x5 hitter, and is a way safer pick than alot of other 1st rounders
-Pujols, his shoulder worrys me (i think its his shoulder :-L)
-HanRAM- also injurie concerns and in a bad lineup, which to me doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference but it seems to other people it does :P.
-Reyes, i don't want to waste a 1st round pick on someone who will just get me a bunch of steals and mediocre stats with the other cats.
- everyone else just doesn't seem worthy of the 2nd pick
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:12 am

I think the lineup upgrades itself enough with other younger players that the loss of Cabrera isn't going to be a huge difference, it will be a difference but not some huge game breaking difference. However I don't like the shoulder problems at all.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:25 am

Wright at #2 would be just fine. I'll still take Pujols until his arm falls off.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:20 am

Snakes Gould wrote:viewtopic.php?t=319663

with pujols's stock dropping, i think its 50/50 between wright and hanley. i think 3b is extremely weak, considering the top 6 guys go in the top 4 rounds, and then its essentially a guessing game after that.

Yeah, as Snakes' link shows here, I picked him with my second pick. Only regret is that I didn't have 3rd position in the draft or so, because I think most people will take Hanley instead so might as well jump a spot.

That said, 30/30 or 35/35 with a .320 average is absolutely 2nd pick material. Put him in your 3B spot and forget it! I was able to go Wright / Berkman / Phillips (dynasty). Would prefer something like Wright / Lee / Berkman or Wright / Teix / Berkman, but ah well.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 am

I also agree that he definitely warrants consideration at #2. Like Snakes mentioned 3b is a really shallow position this year (seemingly) with the top 5 or 6 guys going in the first two rounds and a huge drop off from there. Although, with MCab moving to Detroit I see definite potential that he has a better season than Wright with the Tigers having one of the most stacked lineups I've ever seen.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Az480Trojan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

I have Wright at #2 on my board. That's why I'm hoping I can get maybe the 4th pick, see if can grab him there.
Az480Trojan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:04 pm

after reading some arguments i would have no problem taking Wright at #2. I think a lot of people are going to jump all over HanRam after his year last year, but i think that losing M-Cab is going to kill some of his numbers. Without many other solid bats around him i wouldn't be surprised if he hits 3rd or 4th meaning an increase in RBI's but a decrease in SB's and R's. I do think that Reyes has a better year than last year but i would rather have Rollins who will be had towards the end of the 1st. Wright at 2 makes sense
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers