Thanks guys... I'm currently putting together a couple of "proposals" to present to the league (in email form) over the next couple of weeks, to get a feel for what kind of interest I'm going to get.
The first one will be a simpler setup for a very Basic Keeper League.
- Serpentine draft system every year (first year random, pursuant years the opposite of the previous year's final standings)
- Two to Five Keepers (Minimum of 1 Offensive player and 1 Pitching player)
- Redraft Values of Keepers are equal to their original draft position (even through trades), with a minimum of 15th round.
- i.e. Keeping three deep sleepers and your two highest draft picks will cost you your 1st, 2nd, 13th, 14th, and 15th picks.
- After the first Keeper year, Redraft Values of Keepers increase by 1 round.
- i.e. 1st round players can not be kept for more than one (extra) year.
- i.e. Keeping the remaining Keepers in the previous example would cost you your 1st, 12th, 13th, and 14th picks in the following year.
The second one will get somewhat more complicated, still using a serpentine draft system, but using Contract Years instead of "keepers" (still some details to work out as far as re-draft positions).
The third one would be a very intensive system involving free-agent auctions, contract years, restricted free-agents during auctions (for players who's contracts have expired), salary caps, etc, etc... basically going all out for a Monetary System rather than a draft-position system.
I've got a feeling that the first proposal would have strong interest, while the second and third ones would probably only get a couple of interested owners.
The Scoring of the league is basically going to be a 6x6 Roto.
- Offensive Categories : (R), (HR), (RBIs), (SB-CS), (AVG), and either (OPS) or (RC) [Runs Created = OBP*TotalBases]
- Pitching Categories : (W-L), (K-BB), (ERA), (WHIP), (SV-BS), and (OPBA) [SV-BS could just be SV]
The Finances of the league are pretty simple.
- League Site Fees will be divided among all owners equally (to be collected at the draft). I anticipate this to be near $10/owner.
- No transaction fees.
- In each statistical category 100 total points are available, with 30 going to the 1st place team, 20 to 2nd, 15 to 3rd, 10 to 4th/5th, and 5 to 6th/7th/8th.
- The value of each "point" will be agreed upon prior to the draft ($0.25, $0.50, $1, etc).
- Money will be held in Escrow (to be collected at the draft).
- i.e. For a 10 Team, $1/Point league, 1200 points (or $1200) are available, so $120 per owner will be collected.
- i.e. For a 12 Team, $0.25/Point league, 1200 points (or $300) are available, so $25 per owner will be collected.
- i.e. For a 20 Team, $0.50/Point league, 1200 points (or $600) are available, so $30 per owner will be collected.
- Money is paid out at end of the season.
- For League #1 above ($1/10 Team), the most any player could win would be $360 (less the $120 they paid in, for $240 profit).
- For League #2 above ($0.25/12 Team), the most any player could win would be $90 (less the $25 they paid in, for a $65 profit).
- For League #3 above ($0.50/20 Team), the most any player could win would be $180 (less the $30 they paid in, for a $150 profit).
Note: This structure does require a moderate escrow up front from all owners, but it also rewards a much more level playing field. Rather than paying only 1st and 2nd place, in this setup even owners struggling down at 7th or 9th place in each category have something to fight for towards the end of the season. In a 10 player league the owners who can average a 4th or 5th place ranking across the categories will get their money back, and even an owner who places 8th in every category will get half his money back. The only way that any one owner will lose all of his initial escrow is if he fails to get to at least 8th place in any of the 12 categories.
Last question which plagues my mind before I commit to this system... what sites are available which will allow me to set my Roto categories with such specialized statistics (RC, SB-CS, K-BB, etc)???
As always, I appreciate the input.
Last edited by MTUCache on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.