GotowarMissAgnes wrote:05worldserieschamps wrote:
1. Of course, a few RP cant help you if you suck. They had(and have) no offense and little to none starting pitching. However with the White Sox, they have a good team now. And their bullpen ERA was well over 6.00(im pretty sure it was over 7.00). They needed another solid arm in the bullpen. And they signed another consistent arm with Linebrink. You gave to 2 perfect examples in Bradford and Walker on consistent relief pitching. They have always been very consistent. RP isnt impossible to predict. Thats stupid. Linebrink, Bradford and Walker are all perfect examples, along with many more, of consistent bullpen arms.
2. Dont make me laugh. That situation doesnt even compare to Linebrink. Linebrink has NEVER had a full season of over 3.75. Hawkins' career ERA is 4.68. Just because he has a streak of 4 good years doesnt mean anything. THAT is a good example of inconsistent RP.
Yes, Bradford and Walker came through. Their good performance replaced some really awful ones in 2006...and how many games did the Orioles improve in 2007? Hint: They actually lost more games. IOW, we made TWICE as big an improvement as the Sox did in trying to address bullpen problems, and it even worked, and we still didn't get better.
2. You do realize that Linebrink pitched in one of the best pitcher's park. For the record, here are his ERAs and Hawkins ERA adjusted for ballpark and compared to the league average:
Linebrink: 123, 181, 210, 113, 113
Hawkins: 210, 243, 167, 113
You're silly if you don't see that Hawkins was BETTER than Linebrink at his peak, and that both of them showed a significant decline heading into the year where they were signed as bullpen saviors.
1. The difference is the White Sox improved their offense too. Of course, if you dont improve anything but bullpen, its not going to make much of a difference. Hint: The orioles didnt suck in 2007 because of bullpen(even though they sucked at that too), the white sox did. They couldnt hold any games. Jenks was very good, but other than that, our second best ERA was Matt Thorton(4.79). You cant say that "Hey, the Orioles situation is the same because they improved their bullpen and got worse." Thats a terrible argument. The orioles suck becuase they have one good hitter(markakis) and one good pitcher(bedard). This isnt the same situation at all.
2. I agree Hawkins was better at his peak. But Linebrink has NEVER had a bad season. He has ALWAYS been reliable, and dependable. Hawkins is a perfect example of inconsistency. He had a few good years, but for the most part he sucks.
FACT: Linebrink is a consistent relief pitcher. You said it was impossible, and Im telling you that you are wrong. He is consistent. How good Latroy Hawkins was 4-5 years ago is irrelavent to this topic.