Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mitchell Investigation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Mitchell Investigation

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:43 am

mak1277 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Who cares! Not me. I say juice up all you want and hit a 100 hrs a year.

Considering steroids have been proven to be harmful for your body, I would say this is a foolish statement. If they find out years from now that heroin improves your ability to hit homeruns would you say inject away?

Look, as a fan, I don't care in the slightest bit what these guys put into their bodies. They are all adults, and if they choose to put themselves in harm's way to improve their abilities, that's their choice, 100%. I agree with Havok and say "who cares".

I couldn't disagree more... by saying "let these guys put whatever they want in their bodies", you are effectively forcing guys who don't want to harm/kill themselves to also do so just to level the playing field. That is crap.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Tavish wrote:And Ken Caminiti.... ;-D

If they're going to hype this thing up as containing MVPs and All-Stars, they better not be talking about Caminiti. The man admitted to using them. How much 'investigating' did George have to do in that one? :-b

LOL.

As a Sox fan, the one player I hope and pray is not on the list is Big Papi - that would sting more than any other name.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:56 am

mak1277 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Who cares! Not me. I say juice up all you want and hit a 100 hrs a year.

Considering steroids have been proven to be harmful for your body, I would say this is a foolish statement. If they find out years from now that heroin improves your ability to hit homeruns would you say inject away?

Look, as a fan, I don't care in the slightest bit what these guys put into their bodies. They are all adults, and if they choose to put themselves in harm's way to improve their abilities, that's their choice, 100%. I agree with Havok and say "who cares".

I couldn't disagree with you more...how many kids look up to these guys as role models? How many of them are thinking, well, if I can get away with it, I might get that scholarship, or I might get drafted, or I might just beat out the competition and make it to the professional level. People are dying over this, we need to care.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:00 am

Listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio right now and they're saying Clemens is going to be named in the report as are several other Yankees. Apparently the guy who trains Clemens and Pettitte gave up Clemens saying he was in possession of steroids when he was with the Yankees.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mak1277 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more...how many kids look up to these guys as role models? How many of them are thinking, well, if I can get away with it, I might get that scholarship, or I might get drafted, or I might just beat out the competition and make it to the professional level. People are dying over this, we need to care.

I don't want my comments to be read as me endorsing steroid use. I don't.

As for athletes being role models for kids...I think that's true, to some extent, but parents still have the most influence on kids. Parents are ultimately responsible for keeping their kids from using drugs.

My only point is that I don't give a rat's behind about what any of these players are doing to themselves. I don't care if they're drinking, smoking, snorting coke or whatever. It's no different than rock stars using drugs in my mind.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:12 am

jake_harv88 wrote:

I would argue that McDonald's hamburgers in excess is more harmful to your body than steriods. Fact: steriods also promote healing. Alcohol, drugs, heck I bet even coffee (anything that dulls or takes over the senses of the body) has sparked the creativity of many great accomplishments. Beserker warriors used drugs to take away their fear as did Kamikazes with Meth during WWII. The US actually fed their soldiers steriods in WWII to increase their performance in battle. Some vitamins in excess can have similar health effects as steriods. What is foolosh is thinking at you can properly govern what 600 players put in their body. Not that I approve of steriods or drugs in general but its like gun control. People will and do get around it, don't they? I bet the NFL has more steroids abusers than baseball but they were and are just more careful since they had testing. Now that the MLB does, players will be more careful and still take them but just not get caught. I see it as an evolution to the game imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:27 am

Wow, so does this mean voters will never let Clemens into the hall of fame?
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 am

ESPN wrote:Source says information on Clemens will be in Mitchell's report
Clemens May Be Named in Mitchell Report

A former New York Yankee strength trainer says information he supplied to the George Mitchell investigation regarding supplying Roger Clemens with steroids is included in the Mitchell report scheduled to be released later today, a source close to the trainer told ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael.

Brian McNamee, who worked for the Yankees and as a personal trainer for Clemens and Yankee teammates Andy Pettitte, also told investigators that on at least one occasion, Clemens was in possession of steroids from another supplier, the source said.

The source said McNamee told investigators he supplied Clemens with steroids while Clemens was witih the Yankees, and prior to Clemens joining the team.

Also, The Bergen (N.J.) Record, citing a baseball industry official, says "several" prominent Yankees will be named in the Mitchell report. The paper said the source spoke to a third party who had seen the final report.

"It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx," the paper quoted the source as saying.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig told the Chicago Tribune that he hadn't seen the report, but he was proud it is coming out.

"People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever," Selig said, according to the Tribune. "I say [bleep] it. This needed to be done, and now we've done it. I'm just happy it will be out there and we can move on. I'm proud of it."

Scott Boras, who represents a number of high-profile players including Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez, told the Los Angeles Times he hadn't read the report. He did, however, say he's skeptical because "the concerns of due process and the standards that apply to it are relatively unknown. Certainly, any results that occur from the report have to be looked at in the light that this is not a collectively bargained effort."

"I'm going to assume that a lot of the basis for this is hearsay information," Boras said, according to the Times. "It's not based on any kind of clinical testing, so it is widely a product of hearsay testimony. Without clinical testing or hard evidence, any report like this has to be reviewed with great scrutiny."

It's ESPN so take it as a grain of salt.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 am

Being someone who works with high school and college students every day, I would argue the point that parents have the most influence on their kids lives. I see it every day that parents are fighting to have the most influence, but a good number of them are losing the battle. Have you watched MTV or the E channel lately? Do you see the messages kids are seeing? This is most evident with the ones who come from low socio-economic backgrounds. When a parent in a single-parent household has to work two jobs to make ends meet and the kids are home by themselves, with nothing but TV and the media to influence them, who wins that battle?

I hope you don't feel like I'm going after you here, but I feel that we can't just look the other way and say we don't care or that it doesn't matter, because it does.

EDIT: Mak, this was supposed to follow your quote from a few posts back, but apparently I didn't type it quick enough.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 am

Ah yes and I guess this will end Clemens intentions in pitching for the US in the Olympics this year...
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers