Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mitchell Investigation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Mitchell Investigation

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This report is a joke. A quarter of the players named have already admitted/been cause using, a quarter are heresay, a quarter are retired, and a quarter are nobodies. Good work Senator Mitchell! You spent countless time and who knows how much money to essentially tell us nothing new. I would actually like to see some of the players mentioned with nothing more than heresay to back up the claim file suit against MLB for making their names public with no evidence to back it up.

And of course this is largely about Bonds. Mitchell suggested that the Commissioner not take action against the players named with the ridiculous caveat of "unless their transgressions were so bad that they tarnished the game" or whatever it said. That is obviously just to be able to make Bonds and exception.

Yeah, excellent points.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Oh and we forgot the fact that he has dual conflicts of interest with the Red Sox and ESPN being owned by Disney.

Interesting how the Mitchell Report is all ESPN is talking about and Mitchell is on the Board of Directors for Disney who owns ESPN
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:Oh and we forgot the fact that he has dual conflicts of interest with the Red Sox and ESPN being owned by Disney.

Interesting how the Mitchell Report is all ESPN is talking about and Mitchell is on the Board of Directors for Disney who owns ESPN

Ummm... homeboy - what other sports news story is bigger than this right now? Week four of the NBA? Week five of the NHL? Week 15 of the NFL?

Come on, that one at least is a little funny.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:Oh and we forgot the fact that he has dual conflicts of interest with the Red Sox and ESPN being owned by Disney.

For a Catholic and son of an Irish immigrant trusted to negotiate an equitable truce in N. Ireland, I think that Sen. Mitchell deserves a little bit of credibility when it comes to avoiding personal entanglements.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:06 pm

knapplc wrote:

Ummm... homeboy - what other sports news story is bigger than this right now? Week four of the NBA? Week five of the NHL? Week 15 of the NFL?

All I'm saying is its a conflict of interest and ESPN makes money on this story.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 pm

acsguitar wrote:All I'm saying is its a conflict of interest and ESPN makes money on this story.

You're not wrong about the conflict of interest, but anymore so many sources of news are so wrapped up with so many other corporations that ESPN is pretty "normal" these days. EVERYONE has a conflict of interest.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Victor Conte is meeting some investigators tomorrow (Wed). With Anti-Doping Agency chief Dick Pound tomorrow in New York. I wonder if the Mitchell stuff includes his info.

Sorry but that name just makes me laugh. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:24 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:All I'm saying is its a conflict of interest and ESPN makes money on this story.

You're not wrong about the conflict of interest, but anymore so many sources of news are so wrapped up with so many other corporations that ESPN is pretty "normal" these days. EVERYONE has a conflict of interest.

Well come on the guy is involved not only in a baseball team but also in a network that covers baseball.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:24 pm

acsguitar wrote:
knapplc wrote:

All I'm saying is its a conflict of interest and ESPN makes money on this story.

The amount of extra money that ESPN will make on this story is very small.

The amount of extra money that that contributes to ABC's bottom line is miniscule.

The amount of extra money that that contributes to Disney's bottom line is not a rounding error.

The amount of extra money that that adds to Disney's share price is zero.

The amount of extra money that this adds to Mitchell's wealth that is composed of Disney stock in the context of his overall wealth means you're the only one thinking about this.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers