Return to General Talk

FFB venting thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: FFB venting thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:31 am

I traded Larry Johnson preseason for Steven Jackson. When Steven Jackson got hurt I traded him for Edge and Peyton. I had Gore as my "2nd" RB and finally traded him for Bush. I have had great seasons by Fitz and Roy. I'm squeaking into the playoffs with the help of Ernest Graham, a guy I honestly had never heard of before this season. Anyway, it's a freaking crapshoot. I honestly shouldn't have made the playoffs, but everyone else is having as horrible, I guess worse, season than I am. Berrian delivered nicely for me last night for this first round of playoffs though. After my draft (keeper) my starting roster looked like this:

Bulger
SJax
Gore
Fitz
Roy
Gates
Graham (K)
Pittsburgh D

It now looks like this:

Peyton
Edge
Graham
Berrian
Marshall
Gates
Graham (K)
Bears/Pittsburgh D

Yes, I'm carrying 2 defenses. :-D

I think I hurt my team by trading away quality keepers like SJax and Gore, but I think I actually have a shot this year since everyone else is hurting as much as I am and I've been lucky enough to grab some "unknowns", particularly Graham.

In my 2 other leagues I missed the playoffs, but we don't need to talk about that... :-C
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:34 am

I drafted two teams this year. I thought I had great drafts.
Brees/Gore/Jacobs/Colston in both teams.
One team started 1-5 , the other started 0-4.
Thanks injury bug and New Orleans sucking! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D :-L
The 0-4 team then went on a crazy 6-1 run (when I stopped making changes for injuries what the?) and has just been eliminated.
And the 0-4 team also received S.Jackson and D.Anderson for B.Favre in a trade. Which was the other guys offer. :-S :-S :-S
What a weird season. :-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:54 am

I started watching football at the same time I started playing fantasy football, in 2002.

I won my leagues in my first two years playing, and lost in the championship in my third year. In my fourth year, I lost in the semi-finals....let me clarify that. I tied the kid in the semi-finals and despite my team having the better regular season record (#1 seed) and more regular season points (more points than anyone), I LOST the tiebreaker because his team scored more TOUCHDOWSN on that day. So I put up the same amount of points as him, but I lost the tiebreaker because more of his team's points came via touchdowns.

Even despite my immediate success, I never viewed football as much as a skill game as fantasy baseball. You can dominate the entire league all year and then get screwed in the playoffs. You can have a guy like Peyton Manning help you dominate all season long, and then see him get benched in week 15 or 16 (playoff weeks) because the Colts already clinched a playoff spot and they want to rest him.

You have to be lucky to win a fantasy football league. Luck can help you win fantasy baseball, but it's much more based on how well you build your team (I'm talking rotisserie here, H2H is the same thing as FFB as far as I'm concerned...which is why I don't play it.) You can build the best team in football and still get screwed.

I still like fantasy football simply because it's different and you can pretty much dedicate your Sunday to sitting around, watching football and tracking your players. Plus I'm particularly enjoying this season because Dallas is great for the first time since I've started following football.

Overall...I love football, but baseball is the shiz. B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:H2H is the same thing as FFB as far as I'm concerned...which is why I don't play it.) You can build the best team in football and still get screwed.

Yep, the debate really isn't fantasy football vs. fantasy baseball. It's the old roto vs. H2H debate. All of the arguments against fantasy football are basically arguments against H2H play.

Normally I'm not a fan of H2H leagues, but I do enjoy fantasy football. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I still like fantasy football simply because it's different and you can pretty much dedicate your Sunday to sitting around, watching football and tracking your players. Plus I'm particularly enjoying this season because Dallas is great for the first time since I've started following football.

Yes indeedy. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby J35J » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:12 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:My top 2 picks were Stephen Jackson and Brandon Jacobs, they have both missed a lot of games and been ineffective when playing.

I am good at both fantasy sports :^ :-b

Although I do have to say that more skill is required in FBB

For me its not even about which takes more skill anymore.....thats not even a debate. For me its, is fantasy football even any fun anymore.....no, not really. Its such a random luckfest that all the fun has completely dimenished for me this year. When I first started playing fantasy sports, around 10 years ago, I played both fantasy baseball and fantasy football with close to equal passion.....every year since then my love for fantasy baseball has been going up while my like for fantasy football has been going away to the point where I think I may just skip it all together next year for the first time. :-P
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby sgnilloccaz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i think i hate most about FFB is the fact that you really only have to control your team for 1 or 2 days a week, but i couldnt imagine sundays without FFB. in my league i drafted fwp, maroney, steve smith, and torry holt...pretty terrible right? well im in 2nd place now because of romo and big ben (We start 2 qb's). the skill obviously isnt there in fbb, but its still fun for me on sundays.

I agree with you saying that it makes sundays alot more fun, it makes a most likely boring sunday go quicker. Lets hope I can win my playoff match-up this week.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Yoda » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Well, unless Reggie Wayne scores 47 points tonight and Stecker 0 tomorrow, I will be moving onto the finals. I still don't enjoy it since you have to hope that your players play well for that one game...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk